Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be needing new carpet for the 57 as it has absolutely nothing on the floor except floor pan, LOL. Am I better off going with a formed one piece carpet or a two piece carpet? Will be using buckets seats from a 67 GTO, no console, 4 spd with deep throw bench seat shifter. Also plan to use an original bench seat, just un-bolt, remove, install and bolt in. Want to be able to change back and forth hence the no console idea. Immediate change to the overall "look".

What style, loop or cut pile would be more correct and more user friendly. Not a BJ restore, just ol school cool street machine from the 60s. Plan on putting down sound and heat barrier prior to carpet.

Have looked at various vendors and also ebay. For my 71 Chevelle I used carpet from ACC and was VERY happy there. Will most likely go ACC again for the 57 unless from this posts replies there is a better alternative.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Opinions will vary (like with so many subjects), but I have seen a couple of poor experiences with molded carpet, one of which was in a '55 sedan. I chose a cut pile cut/sewn that was from ACC through Ciadella for my '56 sedan. It fit well, laid down like an original. One thing I'll request in the future - the jute backing was glued to the carpet when received. I would've had an even better outcome if the backing had not been attached beforehand. Loop may look more to your style - ? But it tends to 'run' if a loop gets pulled.

·
Registered
6,773 Posts
I'm not the cleanest car guy so I bought an inexpensive (forget the brand) two piece that covers the middle carpet (bucket seats). So when I make a mess of if I won't mind replacing it. Wish I could recall who it came from, fits pretty well. Only thing wrong is I didn't tell them not to cut a hole for the throttle hinge, but I took some extra carpet from the door end and patched it in there since my throttle mounts up higher. I'll have to take notice if I still have the box. I've had it a couple of years and you would never know it's one of the cheapest ones out there. Well maybe you would, but it's fine for me.

·
Registered
65,762 Posts
with buckets, you will see more of the carpet seams with a two piece. might be harder install, but for clearer look I would go with a one piece. :anim_25:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did some looking on the 'puter today and found both the interior carpet and a carpeted trunk liner. From ACC carpet mfg, trunk does not have the spare cut out which is what I want. Interior is two piece with jute backing. I moved the spare tire hold down bracket up towards the rear seat back rest, mounts the spare further in laying at an angle similar to my old '88 Caprice work car. Both trunk and interior total just under $350 with free shipping in gunmetal gray loop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts