Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 56 Belair and a rebuilt Carter 4 BBL. When I place it on the intake mannifold and start the car it starts but in a few seconds the gas start flowing out of the Carburetor. as I have said I had it rebuilt and check and I have taken it apart myself and really can't see any thing wrong. I have a Rochester also and when I put the Rochester on the manifold it starts right up and run great. Are there any suggestions for the Carter? Thanks Jerry....

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
It sounds like you either have a bad float or your float adjustment is off and not allowing the needle valve to shut off the flow of gas from the float chamber into the carb body. Remove the floats and see if they have gas in them.

Don

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
needle and seat valve

I have a 56 Belair and a rebuilt Carter 4 BBL. When I place it on the intake mannifold and start the car it starts but in a few seconds the gas start flowing out of the Carburetor. as I have said I had it rebuilt and check and I have taken it apart myself and really can't see any thing wrong. I have a Rochester also and when I put the Rochester on the manifold it starts right up and run great. Are there any suggestions for the Carter? Thanks Jerry....
you're needle and seat valve is stuck, either with debre or you're running too much pressure to the carb, most psi on fuel can't exceed 7psi with most carbs. first, after checking psi to carb, you can tap the carb slightly with a rubber mallet and it may clear the debre or unstick the float, if not, you'll have to pull the top of the carb off and check the rubber at the end of the seat valve, it may be damaged if you've run too much psi for long period of time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Carter Carb

I have checked the floats and they are ok, I took the seat valves out they they look ok except they look a little short for the seat but I don'Thave any spect's to tell. I think the pressure to the Carb is OK because when I use my Rochester Carburetor it works fine. I just don"t know??? Thanks Jerry

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
What model Carter is it and where is it leaking? I'm guessing you have a WCFB as they fit the same manifold as the Rochester. Recently there was a thread about being two styles of WCFB's and two styles of intakes, and they don't interchange.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
It reads like a stuck needle and seat, float problem, or a overpressure. my guess also.

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
manual or electric

It reads like a stuck needle and seat, float problem, or a overpressure. my guess also
Jerry, this is very important, are you running manaual or electric fuel pump..??? tap the carb and try again, I think your float may be stuck as indicated previously...and your comment, they look a little short for the seat, does that mean it's NOT seating...???? if so, that's the problem and the float needs adjustment...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Carter Carb

Thanks for all the suggestions.I am running a choke that is operated by the exhaust heat. Yes I am the one that had the question about the manifold and carburetor matching. I am using a adapter plate to connect the Carter and Rochester to the manifold. I have a regular(manuel) fuel pump for the 1956 Belair. I will be at my shop this weekend and will try tapping the carb and see if it helps. Thanks again for the help...Jerry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts