Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello folks,
new in this forum and far away in germany i have a problem on my 55 belair v8 for which i need assistance. the car has never been touched so it carries the 265 engine with cast iron powerglide tranny and all worked fine until rently when i got the following malfunctions (specially in cold weather).

starting in D transmission will stay in low gear. when at a speed of some 30 mph i change into N and back into D (several times) the transmission would finally shift up and function perfectly ever after - as long as the drivetrain stays warm. the next cold start however will lead to the same procedure. also i noticed that going from D to P (over N) sometimes there is a considerable resistance in the shifter (disappears with engine off). finally big amounts of oil are spilled out from the transmission filler tube (oil level and quality being ok).
i´m willing and able to pull the good old cast iron pg but honestly too lazy to do that if the mistake could be corrected by a simple trick. is there any?

knowledge of this hardware is very scarce in germany - can you give me a hint?

looking forward

michael

[email protected]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hello mike,

thank you for fast reply and valuable advise. will look after the oil pickup strainer as soon as frost subseeds a bit (chevy is parked in my barn together with some other inmates - non of the other however of US origin). will keep you updated.

regards michael

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hello friends,

did the job suggested by mike,

found a bent flange, lose screws, marginal sealing ring and was quite optimistic after the repair - but the malfunction is still there!

any more hints - before i start pulling the transmission and put it into pieces?

thank you very much in advance

michael

ps
have the impression that something might be wrong with (inner) adjustment because sometimes going from D into P (over N) shows a considerable resistance in the shifter (at these times transmission also seems to stay in gear) - sometimes it doesn´t.

·
Registered
302 Posts
If you can get a shop manual there is a section on the powerglide and it will show you have to adjust the bands. That might take care of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Roger,

for your advise. I do have the Chevy workshop manual and I meanwhile had all the components out that can be reached without pulling the tranny (yes, I´m too lazy for that if it can be done simpler).
Although governor and low/direct valve were checked and re-adjusted the phenomenon is still the same (now the weather is really hot in Germany):

I start in D. The transmission will not change from low to direct. I shift from D to N with the car rolling (some 35 mph) several times and eventually it would shift into direct and shift up and down perfectly as long as the car is in use (even after a 1 hour stop to have a wine or two). But after having it in the garage for some days the same thing starts again.

There was some oil throw up now and then but this almost disappeared by now (oil level is OK). But there still is that funny resistance when shifting from D over N to P with the engine on. No resistance with engine off.

My main suspect is now the checkvalve between front and rear pump. But to check that the transmission must definately come out.

Any suggestions to save me from that?

Tanks in advance and regards

Michael

·
Registered
302 Posts
Michael. I am no help there... I have never had a cast iron glide apart and they tell me the later aluminum powerglides are very different. Maybe someone on the board has had one of these apart... Sorry I could not help Michael. Roger

·
Registered
2 Posts
Trans problem

I read all of your reply's/
If your trans has never been worked on or overhauled It could be the clucth plates are shot and the piston seals have gotten hard,in witch case in will have to come out.
You could try checking the vacuum hose's going to the modulator as it needs vacuum to shift,as for fluid coming out the fill tube it could be the vent tube on the top side of the tranny,in witch case you would have to be losing fluid,
Anything other then these's thing's the tranny will have to come out.

good luck

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts