Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys I have a restored 55 chev. It has a Concept One steering box and stock control arms and when I go over a rise say around 40 mph and the car goes up and down, it then sways to the left and then to the right, before settling down.

Is there a fix for this using the stock control arms?
Can the caster be so adjusted with these stock control arms and cross shafts to completely fix this or am I going to have to either change the cross shafts in the control arms, or change control arms altogether

Help is appreciated

Gary

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,022 Posts
Hi Guys I have a restored 55 chev. It has a Concept One steering box and stock control arms and when I go over a rise say around 40 mph and the car goes up and down, it then sways to the left and then to the right, before settling down.

Is there a fix for this using the stock control arms?
Gary
What shape are the shocks in and do you have a sway bar?
May not be able to get enough caster to make it easily return to center after a turn, but have you checked to see if you have any caster? What does the camber look like? Usa a framing square against the tire. Zero camber is in specs.

·
Registered
37,251 Posts
Not uncommon for these cars to have 0 caster. And you can't get much more usually.

From what you wrote, you need to look at your shock and sway bar situation, as suggested.

After that, you may want to look into aftermarket upper control arms.

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shocks and other things

Have you good shocks ? Shocks limit the bounce in the suspension.
My car is a complete frame off resto with new shocks and a large sway bar from Williams classic chassis

I am going to tackle this on Thursday with a very smart man

GaRY

1 - 5 of 5 Posts