Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from the shop with my 55 after putting on 2" drop spindles and a 500 power steering box and they got the toe in set but say I have 2.5degree negitive caster. How do we fix it when there are no shims behind the upper a frame. Help please.

·
Administrator
49,379 Posts
Sounds like you have a couple of choices. Either buy a set of the new tubular a-arms to correct the problem, or take the upper a-frame mount and cut it loose from the frame and move it out and have it rewelded by a competent welder.
Terry

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Hi Guys
Well if you don't already know , to better understand caster I always tell folks stand on one side of the car and picture a line going from the bottom of the center of the tire right up threw the top about a foot, now take the top of the line and move it back towards the passenger compartment. this will give you positive caster. Its like having a hand cart when you try to roll it you pull the top towards you which makes it easier to push and steer. Can you imagine taking that hand cart and holding it straight up and down and running down the road, it would feel as if you would want to fall over front of it, and if you had to turn it would be next to impossible. The way to get positive caster is to have the lower ball joint further forward of the upper ball joint. This makes the steering wheel return to straight easier when you let go of the wheel. It also makes the car track straight with little effort. Rember the rule of thumb , place a 20 dollar bill on the top of the tire and you in the driver seat. Tilt the top of the tire towards you and the closer the 20 gets to you the more (positive) it is. I hope this helps if you need I will post a diagram for you.

1,544 Posts
Just to add my two cents worth, if at any time you have the front end clear of everything, check the measurements across the frame at the point where the upper control arms mount and if it doesn't match factory specs. put a ten ton porta-power across the frame at that point and push it out until it springs back to factory specs, after fifty years these babies sag in the middle but once it's put back in place your alignment problems are gone.

Guys: If this article is needed in the future please e-mail your request to me as I don't always get back to these old posts, my address is in my profile, this will also apply to other tech articles you may have need of.
Regards Bob

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered a set of upper a frames from CCP. They said they had 5 degrees built into them so you would have some adjustment. I will let yall know after I get them in, installed and realigned. Thanks

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ccp

Well next Tuesday will be 2 months since I ordered the upper a frames from CCP and STILL don't have them. Called about 4 weeks ago and was told they were out of stock and would be shipped in two weeks. Still don't have them and guess I will call them again Monday. When I ordered them they bragged on how they were produce of the year with SEMA and all that stuff but for some reason they can't supply a set. Neil

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
2 months??? WOW!,, I thought I had alot of patience.

·
Administrator
49,379 Posts
Neil it sounds like CPP has a real problem with supplying their parts. I think i`d find a new source by now. I`m not real patient when it comes to my car.
Terry

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
As long as the steering wheel returns to center or the car isn't too difficult to steer, I wouldn't worry about caster.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
after fifty years these babies sag in the middle but once it's put back in place your alignment problems are gone.
This is a very common problem with these cars, which is why the aftermarket fix came out. Never tried the portapower trick but in the old days it was not uncommon for the front end shops to fix this by chaining down the sides of the frame and jacking up in the middle to do the same thing. Don't see why a good front end shop couldn't still do this.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just to add my two cents worth, if at any time you have the front end clear of everything, check the measurements across the frame at the point where the upper control arms mount and if it doesn't match factory specs. put a ten ton porta-power across the frame at that point and push it out until it springs back to factory specs, after fifty years these babies sag in the middle but once it's put back in place your alignment problems are gone.

I have the whole car taken down to the frame... What are the factory specs? I'd like to make sure everything is as straight as possible before she is back together.

Thanks!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have already finished all the engine, trans, 4 wheel power disc brakes and power steering and the car is in the body shop and suppose to be almost finished with the body work and one color put on late this week. I guess I will have to try and find someone else with a frames in stock. Thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
Most of the problem is with the addition of power steering!! with the after market steering you get a closer ratio so it only takes 1 1/2 to 2 turns lock to lock. The caster on a stock arm is very little. That makes for a very sensitive steering. My rack even came with shorter steering arms!! I had a lot of oversteer, plus the new pumps put out more pressure than the stock systems!! I added the new arms and went to almost +4 deg caster and it made a big difference at high speeds, They also sell off set shafts for the original A arms.
The A arms from CCI are a part# 21-185, are made by "Control Freak Suspension". They also have there own web site you might try them direct!!
My buddy ordered the arms form CCI and got them the middle of Dec, it only took a week!!
good luck!!

·
Registered
527 Posts
WOW! I thought I was all alone. I too ordered my uppers around the 27-28th of DEC and also just got mine on the 20th as well! Sure was worth the wait though, dont ya think? I also got their pwr steering box too, and front end rubbers, and their sway bar! I'm sorry I didnt order the lowers now!

Funds'r low! Phil...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts