Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok all, I have a conundrum (so as always I come here). I am attempting to find the block casting numbers on my engine. I have looked and looked, taken pictures since it is soo hard to see back there. I know it is supposed to be behind the left head, I am just not seeing it or any sign of it even. I realise that is could be covered up with muck, but I would expect to at least see a hint of it. NOTHING. I can see where the throttle linkage comes through the fire wall, I can see where the spark plug wire loom attaches to the back of the head. I just cannot find the casting mark. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My engine has the fromt motor mounts and the bosses for the sides. The stamp under the head is readable. F032IDK I have found out that that indicates at least 59. Could the casting number be in a different spot on later engines? what years had both the front and side mounts? Thanks as always for the assist.

·
Premium Member
5,795 Posts
If you have a powerglide trans., and the kickdown linkage to the carb., the bracket that supports that linkage is covering the #'s.

·
Registered
887 Posts
An easy way to see back there is purchase one of the inspection cameras with the gooseneck lense. They you can work it around the back of the head to see the numbers.

The side motor mounts stared in mid-late 1958.

·
Registered
15,587 Posts
F= eng. produced at Flint plant
03= March
21= day
DK=The dk suffix code applies to one of these 5 engs. 1. 59-283 2. 60-283
3.- 62-283 4. 66-283 5. 68-307
Try to find the block cast # which is located behind the LH (drivers) cyl. head on the ledge area,above where the bellhousing bolts to the block.Post the number if you find it,it will narrow down what year the eng. is.Good luck,hope this helps.
Big Bob:flag4::bowtieb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts