Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When installing a 500 box is it necessary to change the power steering centerlink to a manual one. If so why?
Thanks for your time!!
Jeffrey

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,391 Posts
Jeffrey....A member here, Jalapeno, can tell you why.....However, I do know that you'll need the adaptor that Don linked you to.....Or you can go to a standard steering center link, pitman arm, and idler arm.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the information. I know they say to change it to a manual centerlink. Are there any problems if you do not? My car seems to drive just fine with the power steering centerlink on it.
Jeffrey

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks rick!! Is there an instruction sheet that shows the install. Mine is welded on now. I guess I would cut it off and put the new manual one on. I guess there is enough length after I cut the old one off.
Jeffrey

·
Registered
36,142 Posts
What's welded? As plentiful and cheap as used centerlinks are, I'd get a manual centerlink and pitman arm and make it right. Or if you already had an unwelded p/s centerlink and pitman arm, just get the adapter. Stay away from welded stuff unless you HAVE to have it (like a dropped centerlink).

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rick, this is what I have. I have a manual steering centerlink[ page 166 of Danchuck's catalog] I have a bolt that comes out of the centerlink to go through the pitman arm. On the pitman arm end I have a power steering pitman arm [Page 159]. Someone may of played with this before I got the car.
Jeffrey

·
50,391 Posts

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,426 Posts
When installing a 500 box is it necessary to change the power steering centerlink to a manual one. If so why?
Jeffrey
My centerlink is # 14982
I'm confused??? :confused0006:

The ball IS welded onto a non-power steering pitman arm. It's bolted to a power steering pitman arm.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hers another thought. As I do have a power steering pitman arm. maybe someone put a ball stud PT# 12375 PG. 159 on my pitman arm. When I pulled the pitman off I used a puller and I may of left the the ball stud in the centerlink. The bolt that comes out of the centerlink id a castle nut with a cotter pin.
Jeffrey

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
acardon, the welded part is on the end of a manual center link PT # 14982. a picture is in pops reply here. that is no longer an issue.
Jeffrey

·
Registered
36,142 Posts
"I have a bolt that comes out of the centerlink to go through the pitman arm. On the pitman arm end I have a power steering pitman arm [Page 159]. Someone may of played with this before I got the car."

Still don't know what's welded, I'd get a manual pitman arm if there's any doubt. But what you have may be OK. Can't tell without seeing it.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The welded part is taken care of. It is just on the pitman arm end of a manual centerlink. should be there.
Jeffery

·
50,391 Posts
Jffrey...The way you're explainining it.....Sounds like you have one of these:

Holding together one of these:

And these:

Didn't know that was possible :confused0006: Some photos will definitely help.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pops, Did you read my earlier post #12. I think you are correct. Your pictures are right on. I wonder if you could get PT # 12375 back in the 60's . That is when the car was put together by my friend.
Jeffrey

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,426 Posts
Pops, Did you read my earlier post #12. I think you are correct. Your pictures are right on. I wonder if you could get PT # 12375 back in the 60's . That is when the car was put together by my friend.
Jeffrey
Yes, part # 12375 is a stock power steering ball stud. You can see it sticking out of the valve in this picture. I don't think I would want it on a standard center link though. It doesn't look like it would fit the ball socket in the standard link.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Acardon, I think you are correct. I am going to pull this apart in the morning to see what I have. May order a manual pitman arm and rebuild kit for the drag link.
More fun,
Jeffrey

·
50,391 Posts
Sounds like a plan Jeffrey.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts