Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told today that ceramic coating your extractors ( Headers, for you American folk) is a waste of money as they do not actually keep the temperature down on your pipes. A test was done with a heat gun and there was no difference in both sets of pipes. Obviously it does look good but is the functionality of it a bit of a myth ?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
If anything i believe they will hold the heat longer due to the coating and may cause overheating due to the fact that the heat from them can not dissipate.
The good side is they hold the clean appearance a lot longer and assist in prolonging your extractor life. Heat proof paint is a cheaper option however does not last as long

·
Registered
38,748 Posts
The surface of a coated header pipe will be about the same temperature as a painted one.

They will also dissipate heat much faster on shutdown than chromed or stainless pipes.

The main deal on coating is that it is more durable and the appearance doesn't change.

Coating the inside will keep the inside from rusting quite as quickly. Even when internally coated, it will rust eventually.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Ditto on what Rick L posted! If you like to see rust and heated steel go for uncoated, if you want your engine bay to look good and like to constantly repaint your headers use a high temp paint like VHT or such(it begins flaking off in a short time even when applied properly).

Coated headers stay nice looking for a long time, are resistant to most stains and they cool down way faster than even plain or painted steel also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was told today that ceramic coating your extractors ( Headers, for you American folk) is a waste of money as they do not actually keep the temperature down on your pipes. A test was done with a heat gun and there was no difference in both sets of pipes. Obviously it does look good but is the functionality of it a bit of a myth ?
I'd love to hear how that "Mr. Science Test" was conducted with a heat gun......

To say coating your pipes is a waste of money would depend on what your actual objective was as coating them covers many. As for function, Ceramic Coating works in two ways. First, it acts as an insulator to keep heat inside the pipes. Second, what heat does eventually heat soak is dissipated at a rate greater than a raw or painted substrate. Beyond that, there are many corrosion and aesthetic advantages which I'm sure you are familiar with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
as the hooker website states: do not install on an untuned engine, especially one running too lean as to make the headers glow red. burns up the ceramic coating and then rusts.... i know :sign0020:
Very true, but both "too lean" and "too rich" are equally bad so this is a concern for dynoing as well. Once the bright ceramic is overheated it opens the pores of the aluminum layer and rusting can occur.

These headers were run too lean on start up....

Too hot in a turbo-diesel application

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
15,014 Posts
we did a dyno test with identical headers coated and uncoated . the coated headers made 6 hp more and 7 ft lbs more tq. this was on a 454 stock eliminator engine. did this about 10 years ago. after that I have never run uncoated headers.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd love to hear how that "Mr. Science Test" was conducted with a heat gun......

To say coating your pipes is a waste of money would depend on what your actual objective was as coating them covers many. As for function, Ceramic Coating works in two ways. First, it acts as an insulator to keep heat inside the pipes. Second, what heat does eventually heat soak is dissipated at a rate greater than a raw or painted substrate. Beyond that, there are many corrosion and aesthetic advantages which I'm sure you are familiar with.
Apparently the test was done by putting on a painted set of pipes, got a reading with the heat gun, and then put on the ceramic coated pipes and compared the temperatures, I don't now much more than that.

So my intention to run ceramic pipes is to prevent heat from the pipes frying the starter motor. Now if the coating does make a lot of difference and the dissipation of heat is reduced greatly I am more than happy to go ahead. Also does the colour make any difference in temperature, is any one colour better than another in regards to durability and looks ?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wrap that section of pipe with Header Wrap. You'll have 100 different views on the header wrap but I say use it. (I do)
Like Nick said, I've also been warned to stay away from the wrapping method. I've looked at trying to put a heat shield in there but I hav'nt been able to come up with a good way to mount it as there is little room.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.