Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a 700r4 trans. to replace the one in my '56 gasser. This trans. is out of a late 80's-early 90's I believe Buick with only 2500 miles on it. Have no idea why it was removed but I can ask. He wants $600.00 which sounds like a good price. This trans. has been sitting in his garage since removal. Because it has been sitting so long, should I be concerned about inner gaskets/seals drying out?? Build up of anything in the pumps?? After installation, anything special to do to it because it has been sitting so long?? Dumb question, but this should bolt to the back of my "W" engine, yes??? Any concerns about the converter?? Thank you, Carmine.

·
Administrator
66,105 Posts
I`m not to sure on the later model stuff, I would think with only 2500 miles on it its like a new transmission but you do not know if it has had a hard life.
You may also need a wiring look or computer to tell it what to do.

Keep asking and you`ll find the answer eventually.

·
Registered
67,707 Posts
I paid about $1200 for a rebuilt one for a 55 I had. that was total, even shipping. saying this just to give you an idea of value. :anim_25:

·
Premium Member
3,982 Posts
yes i paid 100 for mine and 900 to have it rebuilt with all the add ons [shift kit,converter,and cable]so if it has been rebuilt and low mileage seems like a good deal

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Carmine, First of all how well do you know this guy? Is he telling the truth? It puzzles me when someone takes out a good transmission. Or tear apart a "GOOD" engine. I would hate to put a trans in just to take bit back out again. I bought a TH-400 trans and torque converter with stall plus a yoke on Craigslist. The guy said he honestly don't know about the trans. He gave me a pic of the detail tag no.s and looked it up and it was a '68. So I bought it for $100 and took it to a gentleman that rebuilds them in his garage for $350. So, I only have $450 in a "new" TH-400. Maybe he may come down on the price. The more money you save is the more you can spend in other areas.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
if its from a Buick or Olds it may be a 2004R with the good muti-fit housing BOP and chevy , a good trans but not a 700R I would at least get a pic of it first.

Joe bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Carmine I installed a 700R4 in my '55 sedan this past winter. I was fortunate in that I bought the '93 Camaro transmission from one of our car club members that had bought it and had it rebuilt for a project he was doing then sold the project and kept the engine and trans...$500...the price he had in it.

here is a sticky of what I used on my trans. You do not need a computer just the parts listed. I went from a Muncie with Hurst shifter to a 700R4 with Hurst shifter with a custom shifter handle adapter to use the Hurst shifter handle. Love it!

http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99120

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Carmine, First of all how well do you know this guy? Is he telling the truth? It puzzles me when someone takes out a good transmission. Or tear apart a "GOOD" engine. I would hate to put a trans in just to take bit back out again. I bought a TH-400 trans and torque converter with stall plus a yoke on Craigslist. The guy said he honestly don't know about the trans. He gave me a pic of the detail tag no.s and looked it up and it was a '68. So I bought it for $100 and took it to a gentleman that rebuilds them in his garage for $350. So, I only have $450 in a "new" TH-400. Maybe he may come down on the price. The more money you save is the more you can spend in other areas.
The guy that has the trans. I would consider a friend. Known him about 4-5 yrs. and we're members of a local Corvette club. I do want to find out as to why with only 2500 miles, it was removed from the car.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if its from a Buick or Olds it may be a 2004R with the good muti-fit housing BOP and chevy , a good trans but not a 700R I would at least get a pic of it first.

Joe bowtie-trifive
Interesting. Never thought of that. I have to make sure it's a 700 r4 because that's the same one I'm taking out.

G.R.-great sticky you posted. I'll be looking at that several more times. Thanx.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts