Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever changed a heater core in a 55 that can share their experience with me? I'm fixin' to work on my dad's car, and I've never attempted any work on an original 55 chevy. Or any 55 for that matter.

I rebuilt the 1 barrel carb on his six last night, and I noticed that the previous owner had "looped" the heater core hoses together to bypass the core inside the interior (or I assume it's inside the passenger compartment). Probably a leak I'm guessing. Anyway I would like to change that for him, but first I was looking for tips from more experienced folks before I started.

Thanks,
JoeB

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Joe;
It is easier than it looks - just time consuming. Danchuk has a tech article you can download to review the process. Have some downtime available because once you get back there you will want to do other stuff "while you are there." I did mine last winter (55 deluxe) and ended up with a new firewall pad and dash harness. Also took the radiator out and repainted while the fluid was out. (How's that for self control?)
You will have the firewall stripped (engine side) on the passenger side and various cables and wires running to the heater control out of service. The saving grace is that if the housings are intact - all other parts are available aftermarket.
Good luck.
Ben

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys. Good thinking on trying to keep the fluid inside the core. From what I can tell it's the original carpet. He might get a tad bit upset if I were to ruin that. Should I plan on a two-three hour job?

Ben, I know what you mean be the "exploda-project". That's where you start out touching up the a place on the inner fenders and end up doing a frame off resto job. I did just that on my car, and it's still not done.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Explode is the right word. I didn't mention the sound deadener for the firewall or the re-do of the speedometer.

Ben

1 - 7 of 7 Posts