Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After months of trying different things to solve my problem with alternators quit charging after a few minutes driving.
I have a big block with little room

1. Went thru 5 different alternators
2. They all charge when cool
3. Added new ground wire, new hot wire.
4. Added new resistance line, added new resistor.
Used different brands of alternators, but they all had the gm design, one fan on front for cooling.
5. Tried different amp alternators from 45 amps thru 160 amps.
6. Tried 3 wire alternators, and single wire alternators.

So finally I decided it had to be a cooling problem, because once the alternators cooled down they all started charging again.

When the alternators got hot the internal regulators would shut down.

Solution.

CS-130D alternator

It mounted to my gm brackets no problem.

I changed it to a v belt pulley.

Next you need a pigtail adapter.
Delco pigtail connector from Painless Wiring

The CS-130D alternator was introduced as the standard application for most GM vehicles. It came standard as 100 & 105 amp models. Although it only adds a "D" to the CS-130 designation, the CS-130D alternator is completely different from the earlier CS-130 series (shown below). None of the parts are interchangeable. 1994 to 1996 GM used both the CS-130 and CS-130 D. You must visually check to see which unit you have if your vehicle is within the transition years.

Improvements over the CS-130 Alternator include:
  • More open design for better air flow
  • Larger bearings
  • Dual Internal Fans to increase air volume
  • Regulator and Rectifier located on the outside, away from stator and rotor heat.

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
:tu
Good Information to know.
thanks
Otis

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
25,815 Posts
No, it doesn't need another fan.
That's a good upgrade but upgrade the wire from the alternator to the battery/starter if you go to the high output alternator.
The pigtail pictured is for a 10SI alternator. A CS130 uses this type pigtail.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am new to this, I have a stock dash on a 56 and i want to install a new alternator,instead of the generator... can i still use the original dash instruments? It has a idiot light.

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes you can use your dash instruments with this alternator.

Acardon is our electrical expert hopefully he will post more on this subject.

otis :)

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
5 alternators? Oh wait maybe it was the 1000 -6500rpm, 1000-6500rpm, 1000-6500rpm, I think they are intended for continuous duty, not continuous acceleration!! LOL

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I want to know why your 5 different alternators over-heated and quit then cooled down and work again when the rest of ours don’t over-heat, they just chug along.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I take CS alternators off everything I own that came with them, way too many failures. We fit, and use them exclusively in the shop for all sorts of different vehicles we work on.

I have replaced all of them with the old 3 wire internally regulated 12SI, made into single wire from the outside by a single jumper wire between BATT and number 2 terminals. Not one failure in decades on my own vehicles. Sorry if that riles anyone up, but that is the way it works around here. I even retrofitted a 12SI into my 1991 Toyota Camry 2.5 V6 when the umteenth stock Toyota alternator went belly up, no problems with it in the last 6 years, since I converted it.

Willard Thompson

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I share you dislike for the C130 the 12 SI is a much better program, you can imagine my pleasure to find one as original equipment on my Bobcat skid loader.

·
Registered
289 Posts
One day, when I get some free time and aren't involved in all sorts of projects in the shop, I want to see if the rear case from an externally regulated alternator will fit onto the front case of the 12SI units. And, if the internal regulator might fit inside that combo, so, it will appear the ame as the early alternators, bt work like a later internal regulator type. The stock external regulator and wiring could be left in place, connected and inoperable. We do get a few cars to work on where the owner wants dead stock looks.

Willard Thompson

1 - 14 of 14 Posts