Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, way overbudget here, bought a low price tilt column from Auto City. (floor shift, no key). I'll admit it. They said I needed a 32" for a 57 Belair (2 door post). When connected to the 500 box the column sticks out probably 8 " past the dash before the hump starts, then thats about another 8-10 inches to the steering wheel. Looks to me like it sticks out way to far. Its gonna be not to far from my chest.

The only other length they carry is 30" but 2 inches is not going to be a huge difference. I am thinking this thing could be 4 inches shorter or more.

I don't wanna have to send this thing off for credit.I have put a couple of scratches in in holding it up to the dash. .soooo anybody got experience shortening one of these? Maybe I can start savin up for an Ididit, but right now am going to have to make this work. Guess I could sit in the back seat..

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance..

Gary / Louisville
57 2 door post , Tomato Red with Artic white top.

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
Not sure I understand. ..u want me to post pics?
Perhaps pics. will give a better explanation of what you are referring to.Dash and firewall.Pics. tell a thousand words as I am Tiring to understand your problem.

·
Premium Member
5,798 Posts
I think ALL of the aftermarket tilt columns put the steering wheel closer to the driver, but yours seems a lot. You could "gently" tap on the lower bearing, and see if it comes out. Keep in mind, you will also have to shorten the steering "shaft". If it's the hollow double "D" shaft, it won't be a problem. Also take note of where the neu. safety switch is located. It will end up closer to the firewall. If you can post some pictures, it would help.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think ALL of the aftermarket tilt columns put the steering wheel closer to the driver, but yours seems a lot. You could "gently" tap on the lower bearing, and see if it comes out. Keep in mind, you will also have to shorten the steering "shaft". If it's the hollow double "D" shaft, it won't be a problem. Also take note of where the neu. safety switch is located. It will end up closer to the firewall. If you can post some pictures, it would help.

I would like to point out that if it is the hollow DD shaft which is a 1" shaft they are not DD all the way up, but just a few inches. So if you do cut that column and that output shaft you will have a hollow 1" smooth bore output shaft for that column which will be very difficult to connect to the box.

:gba:

Kyle Sutherland
Sales
ididit Incorporated
610 S. Maumee St.
Tecumseh, MI 49286
Ph. 517-424-0577
Fax 517-424-7293

ididit’s got a brand spankin’ NEW website!
Go to www.ididitinc.com and check it out today!

·
Registered
37,239 Posts
First, before you even consider modifying or using that column, read the safety warning threads that apply to the Auto City columns.

As the Ididit guy said, what you can do to easily shorten a column depends on how it's made.

The Ididit columns are as he described, not so easy. Never done it myself but I understand that Ididit will modify their columns reasonably.

On the other hand, a Flaming River column has the double D shaft going way up in the column. They are very easy to shorten in the home shop.

This only applies to a floor shift column. If you have column shift, everything gets complicated in a hurry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts