Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
i'm using McCreary "street slicks", I used them WAY back in the EARLY 70's and they hooked pretty well. the only problem is they are TUBE TYPE.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also what gear in the rear ..and how do the rpms react to the tire size and gear on the road ..also what trans ..

reason i ask is i need a tall tire so i can lower the rpms in my car i have a set of 15x7 with i think 275 55 15 and it dropped my rpms alot to a perfect driving rpm..i want to be able to stay with traffic on the highway ,,

·
Registered
419 Posts
Mcrearys are a dirt track tire. They are exceptional for a cost per traction ratio. I used to run them in the late 90's. They are are a little harder to come by these days. I used to run the 285 mcreary and never used to run a tube... I believe they are called american star now?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I know it doesn't go with everybody's idea of how a gasser should look, but I've just taken off a pair of Goodyear 560 x 15" crossplies from the front and replaced them with Firestone F560, 155/80 x 15" Radials, on the back it had some H70 x 15" Wide whites, Bias-belted, now it's got a pair of BF Goodrich, 235/70 x 15" Radial TA's and what a difference it's made to the handling, it's improved more than I could ever have expected and I don't think it's spoilt the look to much.

I would advise anybody to concider the same option, the rears have gone on the standard axle with just enough room, the fronts? Well that speaks for itself, although the steering is a lot more positive also.
Hope this helps,
Micky T.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have 165 radials up front and the Hurst slicks out back. The slicks are a radial tire just recapped. It handles awesome. Just like when I had regular radials on the back. I even got caught in the rain and it wasn't too bad if you kept it under 60. I think mine are 235 70 15 and are 28.5" tall. I think.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Jlow,

There are several tire/rpm/speed calculators out there. You can input your trans ratio, rear gear and tire size and they will show you the speed difference.

This one shows the speed at an rpm in each gear.

http://www.car-videos.net/tools/speedrpm.asp

You can see what difference there might be running a 28" tire vs. a 29" etc.

I used this to get a 275/60/15 (28" tall) tire to match the 3.73 rear gear and the final drive ratio of the transmission so the rpms are where I wanted them.

They are mounted on 15x8.5 rims (Americans) but I am using a rear that is 58"wide, not 60".

Fronts are still open. I have the 155/80/15's on 15x4s, but will probably drive around using 205/70/15's on 15x6 cragars.

I hope this helps,

Later,

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have 165 radials up front and the Hurst slicks out back. The slicks are a radial tire just recapped. It handles awesome. Just like when I had regular radials on the back. I even got caught in the rain and it wasn't too bad if you kept it under 60. I think mine are 235 70 15 and are 28.5" tall. I think.
Shaft...that's a wicked looking '57!

·
Premium Member
16,785 Posts
Exactly the tire combo I have for my 56 gasser project. :tu

-Bruce

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't know the gears in the T350. 3.73 out back though. I run it 3000 to 3500 on the freeway. I think that's 60-65. Maybe 70. Could be 55. My speedo is broke. I keep up with traffic.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok so its the same as me with the 4 speed m22 trans and 456's with a tall ass tire ...so im guessing i could run what you got or go a tad taller ...i like the stance of your ride ,,,sweet

oh 1 more thing what size are the rims out front..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks. I would have gone taller if I could have. My rears are about a 1/4" from the front lip of the quarter. You have cut rear quarters I think, so you could go alot bigger. The fronts are US Indy 4.5" wide. Rears are E/T 7.5"

·
Registered
458 Posts
Front Tires

I'm running size 215/75R-15 on 15 by 6 cragar ss rims on front, and it handles and rides sweet. The rear is 235/75R-15 on 15 by 8 ss's. That's going to change soon, now that the new tubs are in. (4.10 gears w/ spool)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.