Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Episode #1 was on last week. Its on again at 3:00PM central today and the new one (#2) is on tonight at 9:00PM. Its about street racing here in Oklahoma. I've met some of these guys and some of their cars are really quick. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj-0swc6CQg

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
15,014 Posts
yes they have fast cars. yes they are idiots for racing the way they do. yes 1 of them has died already. and yes I will not watch it anymore. I find it a disgrace to drag racing that these people don't have the smarts to do this in a safer enviroment such as a proper racing facility. it ain't like there aren't a bunch of them in OK already. and what does it prove racing on the street anyway, Hey look honey I can't go to work today cause I am in jail!! don't know how we will make the house payment? IDIOTS

·
Premium Member
5,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not taking up for them on illegal street racing but drag racing STARTED on the streets. Anytime I get challenged at a stoplight, its on. I don't care if I'm in my 26 second Fiat either :sign0020: The thing you have to realize is it's just TV. You think they put up generators with light poles at an illegal event? You can bet with a production company AND Discovery Channel on board there's paramedics and probably Police on the scene.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I am another person who won't watch it again. If you are so dedicated to your racing that you can't make the house payments or buy food for your kids, at least do it in a safe and legal venue. I know much of it was scripted drama, but really, this show is lame.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I watched the first episode. I did a lot of street racing in the 70's. Got in a lot of serious trouble for it and payed my fines and huge insurance premiums for years. Thankfully I never hurt anyone with my craziness. Most tv is worthless. This show fits that criteria. Just my opinion, we all have them. Now we return you to your regular broadcast schedule. :sign0020:

·
Registered
38,739 Posts
These days, it seems like most tracks have grudge races, test'n'tune, no et's on the scoreboards or at all, outlaw races, etc. more often than they have the traditional bracket racing. The only reason I can think of that these racers won't go to the track with stuff like this is they aren't in charge, or there are other illegal activities associated with their street racing. Or they just get their thrills with the danger associated with this activity. Maybe their junk won't pass tech.

Perhaps some of what goes on is gambling. I do remember going to Ardmore (halfway between DFW and OKC) back in the early 80s and watching the OKC "street racers" taking on the DFW "street racers". A lot of betting going on. At least they were at a track, and if they wanted to bet, that was their business.

And while it may not happen often, sometimes people get shot when there's a dispute at a street race. Or at least there's that threat. I guess in a way they deserve it because they put themselves in that jeopardy.

Again, I have no time for this stuff to be glorified. Same with their shows on drugs, moonshine, poaching, etc.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Yah, I don't get the point of glorifying street racing. This is why they started drag strips in the first place. I guess TV writers just can't come up with anything new anymore. This'll give all of us a bad name.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.