Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an old tester that I used to check continuity between wire ends as well as ground status, meaning I put the test ends on the wire ends and read the resistence if any. I coulod also put the test ends on the frame ground and my chassis ground and get the reading. I bought a new digital tester and it does not seem to have the same function. I threw the old one away so I can't say what lead i was on. Is there a way to use this digital meter tester to do what I used to do?

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,791 Posts
FS.....I should think, if you can put the meter on the resistance function, put the two leads together and read zero ohms that you will be good to go.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Most digital meters will make a BEEP when reading continuity, usually on the ohm setting when reading 0 ohms, some have a setting for continuity testing...

Digital meters are nice but I prefer analog for testing most things...

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Use the lowest ohm setting when checking for continuity, usually 200 ohms.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, my old one was analog. I was used to it. The new one is somewhat different enough to confuse me, (easy to do). I did put the dial to the 2000k mark where a 1 was displayed. My leads then were placed on the wire and the displayed moved around and the settled on 0. I am assuming that means there is continuity? Am I right?

·
52,791 Posts
Sounds good.....Do you have a 100 or 200 ohm max function?

·
27,084 Posts
I did put the dial to the 2000k mark where a 1 was displayed. My leads then were placed on the wire and the displayed moved around and the settled on 0. I am assuming that means there is continuity? Am I right?
Not necessairly, you could have 10 ohms or more resistance on the 2 million ohm scale. You need to have it on the lowest ohm scale to get an accurate reading when checking low resistances.
Zero (or less than an ohm) does indicate continuity. Some inexpensive meters won't go to exactly zero ohms, even with the leads touching each other. Check the accuracy of your meter by holding the leads together.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
When I am using my meter for continuity, where it just beeps, there is a threshold that if the resistance is too much it will not beep even though the circuit is continuous. I can't remember what I was working on when I discovered this but if it gets up to the threshold it won't beep and you think you have an open circuit. So, now any time i know there is resistance (bulbs, gauges, etc) in a circuit, I use the lowest ohm setting.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
at 200k, the dial reads 1. I touch the leads together and it then reads 0. It is not a very expensive model, I got it through summit. 0 means good continuity?
I'm getting a headache, seriously thanks a lot for your help. You guys have answered all my questions in regard to my 55, now this solution to this new tool. Awesome.

·
27,084 Posts
at 200k, the dial reads 1. I touch the leads together and it then reads 0. I got it through summit. 0 means good continuity?
Zero means good continuity ONLY on the 200 ohm scale.
On the 200K scale, the resistance of a 1.8 ohm ballest resistor will show zero ohms, BUT it's still enough resistance to drop the voltage to the coil by 4 or 5 volts.

·
52,791 Posts
Zero means good continuity ONLY on the 200 ohm scale.
On the 200K scale, the resistance of a 1.8 ohm ballest resistor will show zero ohms, BUT it's still enough resistance to drop the voltage to the coil by 4 or 5 volts.
Yup!

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Cheap meters do not read ohms very well. I am an HVAC mechanic by trade and to read proper ohms I need an expensive meter. Like ACARDON said use a low scale to read continuity. Jim

·
Registered
37,969 Posts
A lot of meters have a "logic" scale. It either reads "0" (continuity) or "1" (open circuit). Usually there is an audio beep for continuity too.

Another way to use a meter to test low resistance is to power the circuit with a small batter and test for voltage drop. That's a very useful way to check ground connections.

·
Registered
1957 150 2 door sedan
32 Posts
Ain't lectricity fun

:):) After Many sparks, spikes, blown fuses, tripped breakers, inoperative thermal trips later, plus attempting to figure out the difference between relay and solenoid, single pole or double throw, I have figgered it all out. I have attended a school that taught me how these things work, I took a course that made me understand it and now I does. I think. I now know the difference between continunity and infinity, amps, volts, watts, ohms and apples, which I used to get her number.
Regards
JWS :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts