Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my car chemical dipped prior to starting metal work. Now that the metal work and some new lead filling is complete I am getting different opinions on the effects of the chemical dipping on the lead filler. The body is going back to get the final dip to remove any surface rust, then dipped in Zinc Phosphate to coat all the hard to reach area that are bare metal because of the dipping. I want to take the body straight to the body shop to be epoxy primered after the zinc phosphate dip. Is the dipping process going to have a negative effect on the lead? I have been told it will not be a problem, but have also been told that I will have to remove all the lead. Any information is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
36,118 Posts
I have never heard that the dipping process does anything to the factory lead.

I think the reasons to remove it or leave it are the same whether you dip or not. People argue both ways.

I'm of the opinion that you leave it unless you see distress, and that you strip it if you suspect anything at all is wrong.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I was thinking. After the body was originally dipped the factory lead was in great condition, so I was not planning on removing it. The next dip is a quick one to remove any surface rust, so it won't be in the chemical tank long before it is put in the Zinc Phosphate tank. I plan on leaving the lead on the body unless I hear something different from the members here. Thanks Rick.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts