Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if the front grill and hood are the only differences in the 57 Chev and GMC trucks. I have a 57 truck now and a GMC just came up for sale and was wondering if I could just switch front clips.
Are there any differences in the dash or interior.

Any info would be appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
839 Posts
I was just wondering if the front grill and hood are the only differences in the 57 Chev and GMC trucks. I have a 57 truck now and a GMC just came up for sale and was wondering if I could just switch front clips.

Thanks
GMC has more of a square dash than that of the Chevy V shape.

·
Registered
132 Posts
There are a few differences

Thanks
Hello all, a lot of the guys here have already mentioned some differences. The entire panel of the dash below the satin black in my first pic is different. The radio, ashtray and heater controls will not interchange thru '59 unless it was a fleet-option truck.

GMC also used a completely different style radiator support that fits only a GMC frame, as it has mounts to the frame under the massive radiators they used. Chevy used a radiator support that mounted to brackets on top of the framerails. I understand the Chevy folks know this, I am just doing a comparison.

Someone had torched the entire lower radiator mount and the crossmember in my '55 at one time so I had to build a Chevy style radiator support since the front clip was basically just laying on the frame with the fenderwells holding it up. The GMC radiator was destroyed too but I found a '54 Chevy one which is much smaller and built my carriage accordingly. About all I re-used was the sheet metal.

The second pic is what a GMC radiator carriage looks like, and the third is the one I built for my truck.

I guess to eliminate confusion I should say the fenders bolt up the same to both carriges, but the frame mounting is way different along with grill bracketry, and I believe the hood latch is even different.

Hope this helps---DAC

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.