Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, for my 16th birthday my father bought me my dream car, a 1957 Chevy Bel-Air. The car is all original with a 283 v8 and 2 bbl Rochester. I noticed that it was running a little rough so i cleaned all of the plugs. A couple were fouled so i put non fouler ends and put them back in with a plug gap of .35. It started right up and still ran a little rough. Next i turned the screws on the front of the carburetor. I knew they were mixture screws and i tuned them until it ran great and then i idled it up a little. I took it for a test drive and it drove better than ever. when i got back i had to scrub antifreeze off the floor because i had overfilled it. While i cleaned it up i left the car running. I made sure to keep an eye on the temp gauge and it ran at normal temp. out of the blue it just died and i havent gotten it to start since. I have checked the obvious, Yes i have gas, oil is full, checked coil on distributer for spark, checked jets and fuel sprayed, the fuel filter has fuel in it and doesnt appear to be clogged. I even took plugs out and they werent wet. It doesnt event act like its gonna fire.

I know it was dumb of me to mess with it, specially since im not a mechanic.

If you guys have ideas let me know

Thanks
--------------------
Donnie http://www.trifive.com/forums/images/smilies/bowtier.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Sounds like it may have jumped time. Does it try to start? Bring the timing mark to top dead center and remove the distributor cap and see if the rotor is pointing to the # 1 cylinder. :anim_25: bowtie-trifive :gba:

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
You have checked all the obvious points
It has fuel "Yes
It has "spark" Yes
You didnt play with the timming so it should run
only thing you may have messed up is fuel settings
As you mentioned after you had messed with the mixture screws on carb, You may have inadvertantyly blocked the idle mixture and its running to lean ( not enough fuel to run)
Have you tried to start after pumping throttle ( accelerator) a few times ?
If it gives a cough and starts but wont idle then back out the screws you screwed in by the same amount and try again.

The base setting for mixture is screw in until it LIGHTLY bottoms out
Then back out 1 and 1/2 turns
This should put you at a place to then fine tune
Hope this helps

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i adjusted both mixture screws on the carb out 1.5 turns and it still wouldnt start i pumped the pedal 5 times and it still wouldnt start

Im not sure how to time a car and i dont have a timing light if you can tell me how i can try

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
lets try this. pull a plug wire and remove the plug. Now reinstall the wire to the plug. Ground the threaded part of the plug to metal and have someone turn the key. Watch to see if the plug sparks. If it does put it back in. Next I would remove the air cleaner and make sure the choke isn't stuck. With the choke butterfly open pour a small amount of gas directly into the carb while holding the throttle open. Now try turning the key again. Keep your face way from the carb in case it backfires, no need to loose your eyebrows. If she acts like it wants to run I would say you have a fuel delivery problem.

Did you mix up the plug wires when you changed out your plugs??

Don

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok i'll try that and let you know what happens. I didnt mix the plug wires up because i took them out one at a time. But i hadn't thought about trying your plug idea. I'll let you know what happens

Donnie

·
Trifive Newsletter Editor
2,521 Posts
If the engine turns but does not run, carefully try some starter fluid down the carb with the air cleaner off. If it starts/runs then you can narrow it down to a fuel issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried what you said and there was no spark. if you have any suggestions on what i can do next it would be great. Should i be checking a fuse for this or what? The coil wire was giving me spark but none of the plug wires were. should i buy new plug wires or a condenser?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
you simply need to work backward until you find "spark". either your points, condenser, ballast resistor or coil are at fault.'' or maybe a wire fell off at the key switch. Try to PM acardon he is a member here and is the local electrical wiz. He always seems willing to help!

EDIT: Having just reread your last post you have power going into the dirtributor but not out. Check your points for proper adjustment and maybe change the condenser

read this
http://www.ehow.com/how_5593550_set-old-distributor-points.html

1 - 20 of 72 Posts