Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Chevy Restoration Questions and Answers

Please start a New Topic to ask your questions about restoring your favorite Trifive.

Or if you can help someone with answers please do so.

Trifive

·
Administrator
49,342 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
underbody repairs or replacement

trifive said:
Chevy Restoration Questions and Answers

Please start a New Topic to ask your questions about restoring your favorite Trifive.

Or if you can help someone with answers please do so.

Trifive
I recently purchaced a 57 2dr. hrdtop.Most of the car is in very good shape for a fifty year old car,but as this car came back east where they salt,the undercarrage is very rusted through.One floor pan has been replaced,but they did a poor job.and the trunk needs the floor panel and wheel well replaced.What is anyones opinion on how I should start.Angel

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Hi Angel
Well to start with are you going to tacle the job yourself? If so first you should figure on the panels to be replaced and the locate a good sourse for the parts to be replaced which can be found in our directory . Once you are satisfied with what parts you have ordered . Wait till the parts arrive before you do any cutting. But until then you can clean the surounding area's weather you have the car dipped, blasted or what ever proses you plan to use even if its a wire brush and a butane torch. Don't forget your eye protection and a good face mask to protect you from the bad dust or fumes you may stur up. Now once you get all this in place I would be an advantage to take som photo's of the damaged area's and post them so we can better help you in your endevor. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
resto

Thanks Steve,
I plan on having someone elst do it.I just talked to a shop today for replacing a complete floor,and am waiting for an estimate.I'm not sure if they really understand that I want a fullu body off resto.You mentioned dipping.If I find someone to do that,how do they spray under the dash and inside the door window openings.I'm hoping to get a lot of input before I start.Sure would like to hear from someone in Northern Ca. that has had one done in this area,so I can talk to someone more experienced,that would give me more confidence on getting the job done right.
Angel

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Angel

Make sure to get more than one estimate, and put some photos on here if you can so our guys can give you advice on what does or does not to be replaced.

Steve is a metal expert and I am sure he can give you more info with pictures.

Otis

·
Registered
2 Posts
Angels resto

Angel said:
I recently purchaced a 57 2dr. hrdtop.Most of the car is in very good shape for a fifty year old car,but as this car came back east where they salt,the undercarrage is very rusted through.One floor pan has been replaced,but they did a poor job.and the trunk needs the floor panel and wheel well replaced.What is anyones opinion on how I should start.Angel
Angel
if you need them i have the left rear and left under rear seat pans

i use sheet metal for alot of my replacement areas,
alot of time you can use the roof top of and old car and save tons of money
on sheetmetal even the wheel wells can be done , if its a flat area ,
inner rocker and outer rockers i build out of regular flat metal, shape it as the original piece ,l have a few pics if you would like to see them

i have 2 nice 55 belair project cars

get them at cost ,3000 for the best one and 2500 for the other

Attachments

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
It can be very expensive to pay for shop time. I've learned by doing as much as I can by myself and being able to talk to people who are in the business of doing these repairs. Some times thing are too much and you need to be able to tell when you need outside help. I've never been affraid to tackle a project, but I know when it starts getting over my head. Thats when I call on the professional like Prostreet.
Dave

·
Registered
72 Posts
Retired welding instructor, several years of experience before I started teaching. Love them little mig's and new plasma arc cutters. If I can be of any assistance let me know! The new machine's take a lot of the skill level out of the equation, buy a light duty mig, rent a few training films and get some practice time in on some scrap. If you are going to get into the rebuild/restore thing, money and time well spent.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
You make welding seem like something I might be able to try someday -- thanks for the encouragement.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I am having a hard time getiing my hood to latch down correctly. When I go down the road it pops open and the safety latch stops it from completely flying up. I have tried adjusting the corner bumpers and ended up getting the hood stuck down. I finally got that fixed and am back to square one. I know with out seeing it, it is hard to say, but I am starting with replacing the latch plate, then working my way back. The hood itself sits high in back by the windshield, the sides seem to fit even sise to side but a little high. Any advice would be appreciated. Dennis

·
Administrator
49,342 Posts
Dennis it sounds like the hinges might need some shimming if the hood is sticking up in the back. That in turn might be pulling the hood back just enough to keep it from latching good. Worth looking at.
Terry

·
Registered
91 Posts
sheet metal

I finally have something to write about.I picked up my 57 hrdtp.this past Monday.They took a lot of pictures,and I am waiting for my daughter to transfer them to a cd and I will post them.Complete new floor pan,Trunk
floor,inner and outer rocker panels,inner rear wheelwell.There was more salt damage than you could see from the rack,until he started to pull the pieces.
I have it home now on my trailer and I think I'll put the engine and tranny
in before I strip the chrom.and then have it painted.They finished the firewall and is smooth and painted to match the exterior paint I am going with.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts