Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1387 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: Due to its large size, I have added an index to this thread to allow easier navigation to the highlight points.

Front Clip Removal
Engine Removal
Air Cleaner Restoration
Firewall Teardown
Windshield and Backglass Removal
Body Paint Stripped
Frame Off
Padded Dash Removal
Compressor Purchased
Body Cart
Frame Sandblasting
Frame Paint/Body Sandblasting
Hood Stripped/Doors Hung
Rusted Sheet Metal Removal
Sheet Metal Replacement
John Deere Pedal Tractor Restoration
Underside Stripped, Repainted
First Coat of Body Epoxy Primer
Filler Work
Slicksand Applied
Blocking
Final Bodywork
Final Primer
Valve Cover Repaint/Generator Rebuild
Valve Covers Complete/Primer Wetsanding/Hood and Fenders Primed
Engine Received From Machine Shop
Engine Paint
Rear End Restoration
Body Color Coats Applied
Body Clearcoat
Carburetor Rebuilt
Leaf Spring Restoration
Front End Parts Blasted/Repainted
Front End Reassembled
Wheels Repainted
Tires Mounted
Frame Reassembly
Torque Converter/Transmission Rebuild
New Exhaust Purchased
Engine/Transmission Installed
Body Mounted
Doors Hung
Interior Recieved
Dash Rebuild
Hood and Fender Bodywork
Electrical Installed
Passenger Side Stainless Install/Tar Top Battery
Hood and Fenders Paint
Rear Bumper Install
Front Seat Recover
Engine First Start
Hood and Fenders Installed/First Test Drive
Front Bumper Installed
COMPLETION

*BEGIN ORIGINAL FIRST POST*

Well guys, just when I thought I was living the dream to just have my 57', I came across a project opportunity that I could not let slip by. How about a one owner, all original, minimal rust, original paint, FACTORY PADDED DASH, 265 V8 1956 Bel Air 4 Door Sedan with 71,000 original miles? She was sort of a "barn find" car you could say. It has been in one family since 1956 when sometime in the mid 80's some teenagers decided to steal her and take her out for a joyride. After she was returned it prompted the owner to put her on blocks and throw on a car cover to prevent the same thing from happening again. Well 25 or so years later she gets uncovered and rescued. I must say, for a car that has spend it's entire life in the deep south, I am shocked at how little rust there is on this car. I don't think I could draw up a much better first restoration project.

And with that ladies and gentlemen, I initiate my first full restoration project. To return this all original gem back to the way she looked when she left the factory on June 19th, 1956

What is it about these TriFives? You can't have just one. :)

And now for the pics!!!

The rescue.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
That's a great find Will.
I guess you will have to keep your eyes open for a 4 door '55 now to have a complete set of Tri Fives! :)

·
Premium Member
15,575 Posts
Great Score Will, you just don't find trifives in that unmolested shape anymore. That will be a great starting point for your restoration.It looks like it is missing a very minimum of parts.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much guys! I was very fortunate to come across this beauty. I can't wait to get started working on her. We are going to unload her from the trailer today and get a good power wash and I'll see how much she will shine up before I get to work.

68,758 Posts
congrats will, nice find. looks like a good one. have fun with it. :tu

those uhaul trailers are great.

:04:

·
RIP: 06-04-2012
1,082 Posts
Will, Great find....looks like a reasonably solid car setting on the trailer. Let us know what you find after you have a chance ot look at it real close.

David

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well, we got her down off the trailer today! And after a day of working on the car, the outlook keeps getting better and better! I hooked up an old battery to find that the headlights and parking lights still work and the fuel gauge still works, but no luck yet on the starter. I believe that the positive contact needs to be replaced. For starters, I am going to buy all new hoses and spark plug wires as well as spark plugs and points. This is just a starting point as I work to bring this old 265 back to life. I filled the radiator with water to see if it would hold and surprisingly it holds perfectly with no leaks. To my advantage, there was antifreeze in there so I hope that means that the engine didn't freeze up while sitting through winter after winter. I thoroughly inspected the entire vehicle for rust and all I found was a small square inch area in the trunk. I am simply amazed that there is not more. This will save so much time, money, and work to be able to work on this virtually rust free car.

I lined up the two girls for a quick photo shoot!

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
:congrats: Congrats, looks like a sweet little project !!! Best of luck with it added to your stable... BDR...:cool:

·
Trifive Newsletter Editor
2,521 Posts
Excellent find. What a great looking 56. Once you get it running, get some new tires and just drive it for a few months before you start the resto. I wish I would have driven mine more before I took it all apart.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Excellent find. What a great looking 56. Once you get it running, get some new tires and just drive it for a few months before you start the resto. I wish I would have driven mine more before I took it all apart.
Interesting thing sir, because I read your thread on your 56' 4 Door a few weeks back and it was that picture of your car sitting on the uhaul trailer that has been resonating in my mind all this time. I remember first seeing it and thinking "man that is one good looking car."

So in other words you are half the reason I chased down this 56' 4 Door!

·
2,521 Posts
Many people (outside of this site) do not give more doors enough credit. When done right, these cars look great. With so much of tri-fives (non-wagons) being the same, including the overall length, front ends and drive train, it makes it easy to find the right parts at the right price. Another nice fact is that the only significant difference between the 150, 210 and BA are the trim packages.

I look forward to seeing your progress and I am glad you bought it. I am jealous too since you seem to have the space for even more!

P.S. I like the radio delete.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I realize I am thinking way far ahead here, but I know that when I restore the car I want to paint it India Ivory/Pinecrest Green. With this I have two questions that I would like to hear opinions on.

1. Is is looked down upon when doing a "original style/purist" restoration to paint the car a different color than what it had from the factory?

2. If I go through with painting the car a different color, should I risk having the original padded dash re-upholstered or should I buy a repro padded dash in the correct color and just hang on to the original?

·
2,521 Posts
I would not worry about the paint numbers matching. As long as the colors look good then it will be great. The 210 I am doing for my wife was Sherwood Green and Pinecrest and we decided on Sherwood and Dune Beige. It makes it easier to keep the middle color since the firewall and inside the trunk original paint is ok in those areas.

Funny that you mention Pinescrest Green. All four of our 56's had Pinecrest Green on them from the factory! How random is that?

Are the dash pads glued? I bet pulling it off really messes it up.

Here is a decent picture I found on FLICKR of a more door with your future paint scheme.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow, thats a beautiful car. I appreciate the advice regarding the paint as I wasn't completely sure what the view was on all that.

The padded dash I believe is held on by some screws and glue. I would hate to tear it up so it will be interesting to see how I am going to tackle the issue.

·
2,521 Posts
1 - 20 of 1387 Posts