Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fully stock 6cyl (newly rebuilt carb: not installed by me) has trouble starting.
It turns and fires but I need to pump the gas until it catches: it fires up then dies (choke does not seem to be engaged), I pump some more and then it catches and the choke engages.....
Any tips on how this car should start?
Me messing w/ the carb is not in my cars best interest without some expert advice!

Any help is appreciated.:confused0006:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Rich, Is it just when the engine is cold or all the time? Should be when you press the gas pedal down ( before starting ) this should set the choke if the bowl is not holding the fuel you will need to pump it several times . If the engine is hot and you need to do this it sounds like the fuel may be perkalateing out of the bowl .

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Choke issue

Mainly happens when cold but warm starting also need some pumping. Once running all seems ok.

Any tips on getting the bowl to hold fuel?

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Rich, do you have a glass fuel bowl on the carb? You can look into it and see if fuel is in it before you go to start it as well as after you have driven the car. The fuel pump may not be holding it's prime. You could pull the top off the carb to see if the bowl is full or not . But be careful hot engines and fuel can be a problem. Heat from the engine can sometime draw the fuel out of the carb. If this is the case the engine would seem like it was flooded after you have driven it. What carb do you have the car? I can do some checking for you.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info....

Seems like if I pump the gas she fires up and the choke holds... This car has been in storage for some time, I was expecting to pump the gas, turn the key and it would choke and start... Maybe it needs some more special handling...

Thanks for the info and help....

·
Administrator
66,105 Posts
How long is the car sitting between starts.

There is a choke adjustment but firstly I would take the air cleaner off, try starting the engine when cold & keep an eye on the choke flap to see how long its taking to open.

It could be that there is not enough heat off the exhaust manifold up the heat tube.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts