Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
My bud's

Has anyone tried the chrome spray paint advertized by Jay Leno. I saw an ad for 85 bucks a pint.
6T5 Fird P/U has the grille and some trim done w/ it. Looks Ok. No durability tests yet. Truk is not on the road..

·
Registered
751 Posts
Its more like paint. This topic is covered heavily on the HAMB. There is no subsitute for real chrome.

That being said, I think it would work great on interior trim pieces.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I dont know which paint you are speaking about, but there was a product around-May still be- called Killer Chrome. Its paint and not chrome but looked real good. Take a look, a little pricey but if it works it would be cool.

http://www.alsacorp.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Alsa_B&Product_Code=KC-KCH-Kit

Also as to the real chrome vs. the chrome paint. In Nascar Chrome Wheels have been outlawed for many years. thats why all of the cars run painted wheels. There problem was wheels flying apart at 180 or 190 MPH due to Hydrogen Embrittlement. About three years ago Michael Waltrip showed up at Daytona with what looked exactly like Chromed Wheels. Turned out it was in fact some type of paint. I have had my hands on one of the wheels and they look very good and from a couple of feet appear to be chrome. All of his car today run that same wheel, there the only ones that do. I would love to find out what it is, this Killer Chrome stuff may be it. I would like to find out if they are still in business or long gone. There web-site and the link above still work. Why don't one of you guys try it and let us all know if it works....... :cool::cool:

·
Registered
254 Posts
I dont know which paint you are speaking about, but there was a product around-May still be- called Killer Chrome. Its paint and not chrome but looked real good. Take a look, a little pricey but if it works it would be cool.

http://www.alsacorp.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Alsa_B&Product_Code=KC-KCH-Kit

Also as to the real chrome vs. the chrome paint. In Nascar Chrome Wheels have been outlawed for many years. thats why all of the cars run painted wheels. There problem was wheels flying apart at 180 or 190 MPH due to Hydrogen Embrittlement. About three years ago Michael Waltrip showed up at Daytona with what looked exactly like Chromed Wheels. Turned out it was in fact some type of paint. I have had my hands on one of the wheels and they look very good and from a couple of feet appear to be chrome. All of his car today run that same wheel, there the only ones that do. I would love to find out what it is, this Killer Chrome stuff may be it. I would like to find out if they are still in business or long gone. There web-site and the link above still work. Why don't one of you guys try it and let us all know if it works....... :cool::cool:
I believe what MWR uses on their wheels are power coating.
I have used it on bumpers and other parts. Not chrome but looks
OK. JMO

·
Registered
156 Posts
madtony, You know I heard that as well, seems like I saw Waltrip himself say something about powder paint in an interview. However I have been to all of the powder painters around here a dozen maybe, and have called and talked to a lot more than that. Sevreal of these guys have even sent me samples and nothing comes even close to the Waltrip Sprint Cup car wheels, not even in the same ball park.

Anyone else have an idea? It sure is cool stuff...

Roland

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.