Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am starting the assembly of my '56 and I want to replace a lot of my pitted chrome parts. I have all the catalogs, Danchuk, Classic Industries, Cars Inc, The Car Shop, etc. I am looking on Ebay and I notice there are quite a few vendors (other than the big ones mentioned) that have many of the chrome parts at substantially less then Danchuk, etc.

For example, I need some door handles and they are $88 for a set at Danchuk but I found several on Ebay including one that is local here in Fullerton in the $50 range. These other suppliers have overall good feedback but I would like to hear if anyone else has experience with buying these type of parts on Ebay. I get that Danchuk makes many of the parts here in the US and they are better than the import peices. For Large parts I think it might be worth going to Danchuk. If I can save $30-$40 on just door handles, that is pretty substantial. A lot of those small items will add up quickly.

I would like to hear others experience, both good and bad. I would prefer to hear actual experience and not hear from the people that hate Ebay and don't buy anything on Ebay. I have a lot of experience both buying and selling on Ebay and don't need to be sold on (or warned against) Ebay. I am really looking for first hand experience with the chrome parts sold on Ebay. I am assuming that most come from the same factory in China.

Here are the door handles that I am looking at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOOR-HANDLE...ies&hash=item589fb213d4&vxp=mtr#ht_328wt_1161

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I would consider buying those door handles no problem. You can always contact the seller for more info on where they are made, etc. But in general, no problem with ebay for me.

·
Registered
136 Posts
So I am starting the assembly of my '56 and I want to replace a lot of my pitted chrome parts. I have all the catalogs, Danchuk, Classic Industries, Cars Inc, The Car Shop, etc. I am looking on Ebay and I notice there are quite a few vendors (other than the big ones mentioned) that have many of the chrome parts at substantially less then Danchuk, etc.

For example, I need some door handles and they are $88 for a set at Danchuk but I found several on Ebay including one that is local here in Fullerton in the $50 range. These other suppliers have overall good feedback but I would like to hear if anyone else has experience with buying these type of parts on Ebay. I get that Danchuk makes many of the parts here in the US and they are better than the import peices. For Large parts I think it might be worth going to Danchuk. If I can save $30-$40 on just door handles, that is pretty substantial. A lot of those small items will add up quickly.

I would like to hear others experience, both good and bad. I would prefer to hear actual experience and not hear from the people that hate Ebay and don't buy anything on Ebay. I have a lot of experience both buying and selling on Ebay and don't need to be sold on (or warned against) Ebay. I am really looking for first hand experience with the chrome parts sold on Ebay. I am assuming that most come from the same factory in China.

Here are the door handles that I am looking at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOOR-HANDLE...ies&hash=item589fb213d4&vxp=mtr#ht_328wt_1161

Thanks for the help.

I have been pretty happy with most of my ebay purchases for parts on my 1956 Chevy. I've been able to find quite a few seller who have original NOS parts at pretty decent prices. As far as the repop stuff goes, you are correct, most of it all comes from the same factory in China, so try to find the best price you can. Other TriFive members can attest to this, most of the repop Chinese chrome pieces are relatively cheap, but you will probably be replacing in a couple of years as the plating quality is poor and they will become pitted pretty quickly. Other members have mentioned that the repop bumpers and grills require lots of adjustments and they do net fit like the original items.

You just have to be careful who you buy from on Ebay. I would recommend checking out their feedback and also see what items they specialize in. Mutton Hollow Chevys is the best TriFive seller that I have dealt with on Ebay. They sell Used Original and NOS parts, as well as New Reproduction parts at pretty good prices relative to Danchuks and Ecklers, etc.

·
Premium Member
15,888 Posts
Those handles do look good but his ad says all 2 door models. Keep in mind that 2 door sedan handle is not the same handle as a 2 door hardtop. The angle at the door is different as well as the pin length on the button. :)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those handles do look good but his ad says all 2 door models. Keep in mind that 2 door sedan handle is not the same handle as a 2 door hardtop. The angle at the door is different as well as the pin length on the button. :)
Hmmm, I am looking at the Danchuk catalog and they have the 794, says it fits HT and sedan (rear doors)) and the 794A for HT or sedan (front doors).

Anyone know if Danchuck makes all the parts in the US or just some of the parts?

·
Registered
628 Posts
I bought 2 pair (4 door) from mclassic parts on ebay for $30.00 a pair and they were brand new and look great.:)

·
Premium Member
15,888 Posts
Hmmm, I am looking at the Danchuk catalog and they have the 794, says it fits HT and sedan (rear doors)) and the 794A for HT or sedan (front doors).

Anyone know if Danchuck makes all the parts in the US or just some of the parts?
They are different, I don't care what the parts vendors say. I will post the GM part numbers later if I need to. Just trying to solve a problem before it happens. :anim_25:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
ditto....hardtop and sedan handles are angled different

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are different, I don't care what the parts vendors say. I will post the GM part numbers later if I need to. Just trying to solve a problem before it happens. :anim_25:
Not saying this isn't true, just saying that Danchuk doesn't have 2 parts. Ecker's has a part for HT and a part for sedan.

The door handles were just an example, really just looking for feedback of quality of Ebay vendor parts and I appreciate the feedback. I have seen mclassic and mutton hollows on Ebay, I think I will give them a try.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I have no problem buying a retailers part listed on eBay if it appears to be the best overall deal for me. I generally have better luck with eBay sellers than the retailers directly: fewer problems and faster resolution when there is a problem because of eBay and PayPal policies.

But I prefer to relate my old parts because I have even more control over the outcome and therefore ultimately spend less $$.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I've bought parts on eBay as well. You'll find many of them will come in danchuk packaging. Don't know how that works. It seems like they must buy holsale through danchuk and then under cut them. Don't know!
As for your handles. Hardtop are different to sedans, just watch out for that.:anim_25:

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
I've had good experiences with Gene Smith (genesmithparts.com) and Trim Parts (trimpartsinc.com) for US made parts. Trim Parts manufactures parts under GM license so I assume the parts have to meet GM standards. I don't know if Gene Smith is licensed by GM but his manufactured parts are top quality. Parts from each of these vendors can be found on ebay. I would recommend dallascountyparts on ebay for Trim Parts items.
Also, don't disregard smaller vendors like http://www.mervsclassicchevyparts.com/index.html or http://www.eastcoastchevy.com/ Although many of their parts are Danchuk or Eckler, their prices may be lower.

I'd buy from Ecklers or Danchuk only if it's something I can't find anywhere else.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
great Information So I Need To BuY Trim For My Hard Top And
Door Handels Where Is Best Place And I'm Ok WIth Ebay lol

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
Regarding Danchuk - many of their parts are offered in two grades, good and best. The good items are made in China, the best items are made in the U S by Danchuk and have Danchuk's name, or DMC, embossed or engraved on the part.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
have you tried a place called truck and car shop there by the angles baseball park
Yes, I have actually purchased several parts from the Car Shop in Orange. They are 1 block from the paint shop that had my car. I like them because they always seem to have the part in stock that I needed.

Ebay just has better prices overall and I am on a tight budget so I am going to try to save a few bucks where I can. Thanks for all the great advice!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts