Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hometown had a big storm Memorial weekend. A large tree in the downtown city square fell and caused major damage to the obolisk like memorial. If I remember correctly it was dedicated about 1919

·
Administrator
9,086 Posts
Am I the only one who had to look up that word. :)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An obelisk (from Greek ὀβελίσκος - obeliskos,[1] diminutive of ὀβελός - obelos, "spit, nail, pointed pillar"[2]) is a tall, four-sided, narrow tapering monument which ends in a pyramid-like shape at the top. Like Egyptian pyramids, whose shape is thought to be representative of the descending rays of the sun, an obelisk is said to resemble a petrified ray of the sun-disk. A pair of obelisks usually stood in front of a pylon. Ancient obelisks were often monolithic, whereas most modern obelisks are made of several stones and can have interior spaces.
The term stele (plural: stelae) is generally used for other monumental standing inscribed sculpted stones.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Am I the only one who had to look up that word. :)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An obelisk (from Greek ὀβελίσκος - obeliskos,[1] diminutive of ὀβελός - obelos, "spit, nail, pointed pillar"[2]) is a tall, four-sided, narrow tapering monument which ends in a pyramid-like shape at the top. Like Egyptian pyramids, whose shape is thought to be representative of the descending rays of the sun, an obelisk is said to resemble a petrified ray of the sun-disk. A pair of obelisks usually stood in front of a pylon. Ancient obelisks were often monolithic, whereas most modern obelisks are made of several stones and can have interior spaces.
The term stele (plural: stelae) is generally used for other monumental standing inscribed sculpted stones.
Probably. I'm sure the rest of us knew it :sign0020:.

·
KINGS X 56 = R.I.P. August 31, 2014Senior Member 2
2,885 Posts
Monument company should be able to tell if it's repairable or not. It may be expensive but worth trying to save. Shame there was a tree so close to it, an accident waiting to happen.
Best of luck with restoration.

KINGS X 56

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.