Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a client that is looking for an insurance policy effective during the build and for final product. To clarify, I'm only supplying the chassis but certainly that too will be incorporated into the coverage needed once delivered.

Anyone here doing anything like this that can either point me in the direction of possible carriers or share a link specific to the need? I looked but no success.

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
I have a client that is looking for an insurance policy effective during the build and for final product. To clarify, I'm only supplying the chassis but certainly that too will be incorporated into the coverage needed once delivered.

Anyone here doing anything like this that can either point me in the direction of possible carriers or share a link specific to the need? I looked but no success.

Many thanks in advance.
I dont' know if this will help you but if he has or can get Geico...American Modern insurance which is a subsidiary of Geico might do it.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,265 Posts
I would not recommend that you try Grundy Nick....Recently attempted to add my 55 sedan (below) to my policy with them and had to supply pics....This is the reply that I received:

" I have received the photos. Unfortunately, underwriting has declined your request to add this vehicle to your policy in its current condition. It appears this vehicle is not garaged, or restored. If you restore this vehicle and garage keep it, we will reconsider coverage at a later time. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. I hope you have a good day and Happy New Year."

·
R.I.P. Sept. 8, 2018 Senior Member 2 Gol
2,665 Posts
Hagerty had a great plan for my truck build with automatic increases in agreed value even if I forgot to call them to update coverage. It was stored indoors though.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks to you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
379 Posts
insurance

I used Grundy during build of off and on 10 years. I would just call and send pictures of update along with a two or three liner of what I did. I know they will cover it if in a shop,garage, or even a rental secure store room. As value increases in your work the premiums increase a little each year. They have been good for me. Currently have $50K agreed value for about $400/500yr. cannot remember cause wife pays it.

·
51,265 Posts
I am also told by Bruce (TheHotrodHandyman) that GRUNDY will drag their feet forever, when you make a claim.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Hagerty had a great plan for my truck build with automatic increases in agreed value even if I forgot to call them to update coverage. It was stored indoors though.
I've got my truck with Hagerty and I add my car on to the polics . But like your in a building . Had to send them pic of car , parts and a list of thing to add to car . Good and fair price for the money that I've put into the car already . Later Jason

·
Premium Member
15,796 Posts
I am also told by Bruce (TheHotrodHandyman) that GRUNDY will drag their feet forever, when you make a claim.
YEP, I have a customers 57 300C here that was damaged in August and they still have not paid the supplement that was looked at and approved in October. It took them over a month to even look at it for the initial claim and they screwed that up as well by sending someone else's check for $275 instead of the $18,800 they should have sent. It took them almost 3 weeks to correct that mistake that was clearly their fault since the check was made out to someone I never heard of. I can give you several other BAD Grundy dealings. As a result of dealing with complete incompetence by Grundy on this current job I will no longer take on any Grundy related repairs.

Hagerty will insure a project as well as cover the parts in the event of fire etc during the build.

·
Administrator
65,722 Posts
I would not recommend that you try Grundy Nick....Recently attempted to add my 55 sedan (below) to my policy with them and had to supply pics....This is the reply that I received:

" I have received the photos. Unfortunately, underwriting has declined your request to add this vehicle to your policy in its current condition. It appears this vehicle is not garaged, or restored. If you restore this vehicle and garage keep it, we will reconsider coverage at a later time. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. I hope you have a good day and Happy New Year."

That's a bit rough, not the car but the response.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I've got my truck with Hagerty and I add my car on to the polics . But like your in a building . Had to send them pic of car , parts and a list of thing to add to car . Good and fair price for the money that I've put into the car already . Later Jason
X2 I called my agent and increase the amount periodically. I did send photos during the restoration.

·
Registered
696 Posts

My last '57 150 was insured by Grundy & they were slow in paying after the car burned to the ground. Found another '57 150, sent it to a shop for a full restoration, bought an AMC & many other parts, sent pictures & they refused to insure it so I called Hagerty. They were great! :flag6:

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
8,260 Posts
ANPAC has a collector car division (called CHROME) - They are based in
Springfield, MO, but have offices all over I think. I have several (6) cars insured with them for many years, including my '57 Nomad which is under construction in my garage.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Condon Skelly was the only one I could find in 2008/9 when I did mine.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
ins

JCTaylor insures my cars including four non tagged projects. All are painted and in varying stages of reassembly. Only have one claim over a very long period of time and they were prompt w/payment.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
There are 2 Grundy companies and they are independent of each other.
Grundy Worldwide and Grundy Insurance.
When stating good or bad about Grundy, it's important to say which one.

I have nothing but good to say about Grundy Worldwide so far. They did insure my Bel Air when it was under construction. Only made one small claim (towing) but they paid quickly with no questions asked.

All 4 of the cars listed below are on my Grundy Worldwide policy.

·
51,265 Posts
I'm not sure in Bruce's case, but here's the bottom line(s) on my reply...I will have nothing to do with GRUNDY WORLDWIDE from here on out....If Bruce is dealing with WORLDWIDE as well, it sounds like you better not actually try to use their insurance.

I have received the photos. Unfortunately, underwriting has declined your request to add this vehicle to your policy in its current condition. It appears this vehicle is not garaged, or restored. If you restore this vehicle and garage keep it, we will reconsider coverage at a later time. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. I hope you have a good day and Happy New Year

Thank You

Rebecca Lebeau

CSR- Customer Service Department

Collector Vehicle Program

·
Premium Member
15,796 Posts
There are 2 Grundy companies and they are independent of each other.
Grundy Worldwide and Grundy Insurance.
When stating good or bad about Grundy, it's important to say which one.

I have nothing but good to say about Grundy Worldwide so far. They did insure my Bel Air when it was under construction. Only made one small claim (towing) but they paid quickly with no questions asked.

All 4 of the cars listed below are on my Grundy Worldwide policy.
The incident I mentioned is Grundy Worldwide and it is the 3rd consecutive Grundy Worldwide claim I have had this same problem with. I can also give a list of other insured people that have had the same kind of problems with Grundy Worldwide. Every person I know in the area that has had to make a claim with them has changed to another company after dealing with their ineptness of handling the claim in a responsible timeframe. I will turn away any future Grundy claims that come to my shop, Three strikes and you are OUT of my shop.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
I'm not sure in Bruce's case, but here's the bottom line(s) on my reply...I will have nothing to do with GRUNDY WORLDWIDE from here on out....If Bruce is dealing with WORLDWIDE as well, it sounds like you better not actually try to use their insurance.

I have received the photos. Unfortunately, underwriting has declined your request to add this vehicle to your policy in its current condition. It appears this vehicle is not garaged, or restored. If you restore this vehicle and garage keep it, we will reconsider coverage at a later time. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. I hope you have a good day and Happy New Year

Thank You

Rebecca Lebeau

CSR- Customer Service Department

Collector Vehicle Program

I wouldn't hold that against them.
It's a requirement for cars to be stored in a locked garage in order to qualify for coverage. This has always been the standard.

Are there any other companies that offer agreed-value coverage on classic cars that don't have that requirement and if so, do they have competitive rates?
Not that I've seen.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts