Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
56 150 two door w/210 trim, 350 CID, TH 350
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like we need something else to worry about!

The following info came from a news story published in the UK about a increase of classic car thefts there. Something to consider, it sure would be easy enough for someone to do it.

"The scheme often starts with spotters checking out cars at local shows. When they find the make and model they need to steal, one of them will craftily hide a magnetic GPS tracking device on the classic car. That allows them to find where the vehicle is being stored so they can then stake out that location and plan on a way to steal your car."

It even went on to say, that the bad guys have put wildlife cameras up to watch for patterns of when no one is at home, working etc!

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
This means there's going to be a market for a GPS transmitter detector in old cars. And this camera thing is well into the 'out of control' category.

·
Registered
56 150 two door w/210 trim, 350 CID, TH 350
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just make sure your car is properly and adequately insured.........
I totally agree with that!

For me, the one thing that insurance doesn't help, is if the car has sentimental value. My life long best friend who passed away in 2005 owned the car I have now. He never had the chance to start the rebuild, so in my mind I built it for him! That may be a weird way of looking at it, but "our" car can't be replaced.

Well maybe I could hire a couple US military guys to track the missing car down and fix that problem...... 🤔 , or pray it never happens!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I totally agree with that!

For me, the one thing that insurance doesn't help, is if the car has sentimental value. My life long best friend who passed away in 2005 owned the car I have now. He never had the chance to start the rebuild, so in my mind I built it for him! That may be a weird way of looking at it, but "our" car can't be replaced.

Well maybe I could hire a couple US military guys to track the missing car down and fix that problem...... 🤔 , or pray it never happens!
Retired SAS guys are surely bored, car retrieval could be a good side hustle.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Back around '75 someone jimmied my door open and took a pair of pliers and tried to break the ignition switch out of the lock position. They only succeeded in breaking off the chrome cap. I guess they just didn't know how to hotwire. I have often thought of just how close I came to losing my 55.

·
Administrator
65,382 Posts
I guess that thieves are moving with the times, making it easier to track your classic since they are all in the same place, its a theft waiting to happen

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
If they want it they will try and take it. we need to be aware and keep a good eye on our pride and joy.

Later,
Kev

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Our security system doesn't include cameras inside the garage or shop. But it does cover outside both, and nobody can get to them without passing the cameras outside.
But as much as I like the system, and cameras, I seriously doubt it will do much to catch thieves. It might help after the fact if they're caught and prosecutors need more evidence to help convict them.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
The world has become "Whats yours is mine and I'm going to take it."

Heard a case, when I was a kid, of someone stealing a farmer's chickens. The farmer rigged up a dead fall to stop the thefts. The dead fall killed the thief and the farmer was arrested for murder. Don't remember how the case ended, but the word spread quickly - "NO DEAD FALLS"

·
Registered
24 Posts
This means there's going to be a market for a GPS transmitter detector in old cars. And this camera thing is well into the 'out of control' category.
That's what I do for my stuff. A simple trak-4 device can be had off Amazon for $50 and the service can be activated / deactivated at will. The web interface is really easy to use and allows for keeping tabs on multiple devices.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Not surprised that these thieves are getting more high tech. I will be the first to admit that I am not savy enough to keep up. But I do keep the twins close by. A pair of 9mm‘s I call Lester and Earl.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts