Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to clean the outside of my thm-400.
It has undercoating,grease,dirt,fluid and some black stuff on it.
I've tried pressure washing it with soap and gas.
Now,I'm trying to clean it by hand with wire brushes,paint brushes,screwdrivers and scotchbrite pads.
It ain't even close to being clean yet!
I can't get into all the little cracks and recesses,which are still very dirty.
What do Ya'll do to clean yours?
Mike.:)

·
Registered
36,133 Posts
Try EZ Off or a similar oven cleaner.

Sometimes this stuff is either going to require a lot of personal attention, or a complete teardown and a trip to the transmission shop for a thorough professional chemical cleaning.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
WHITE LIGHTNING..alum cleaner. It has phosphoric acid in it, so use w/ care. It will foam the dirt out of the pores..Don't let it sit too long, as it will turn the alum casting black/grey...

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already have a few cans of EZ-OFF.Will it cause the aluminum to corrode?And what do I put on the trans after using this on it to keep it from corroding?
White Lightning?New name to me.I have phosophoric acid in the form of Ospho.Same thing?
Hate to keep buying more chemicals since I already have a shelf full of this stuff!
Thanks for the help!And advice.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Oven cleaner wont hurt the aluminum. After you get it clean take it to a place that washes semi trucks. Those guys have a acid that they use to brighten the aluminum fuel tanks ad trailers. thay spray the acid on leave it for a short time and power wash it off.:anim_25: Randall

·
Registered
11,212 Posts
EMS products said:
Alumi-Brite is the world's only aluminum brightener and cleaner that is formulated without Hydrofluoric or any other corrosive acid or caustic.

Alumi-Brite has almost identical brightening properties to the harshest acids, yet is safe for your personnel and your truck. That's because Alumi-Brite does not etch the surface of the aluminum to "brighten", a process that eventually leaves your aluminum dull and grey. And because Alumi-Brite is non-corrosive, it is safe to use anywhere on your truck and trailer. Click here for a brochure, environmental profile, and MSDS

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
2 ways I prevent corrosion:
1. Etch prime and paint it.
2. Spray it w/ Eastwood satin clear.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Morning Nick!
Good to hear from you and I hope things are a little better for you and your family.
And thanks for the info pn the Alumi-Brite.
Hey Chuck,this is of topic but,do you go to the Moultrie,Ga. car show/swapmeet?
I try to go every fall and sometimes in Feb.
Thanks Ya'll!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts