Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best method of cleaning the rust before cutting and making a patch repair. Once repairs are made I will sandblast prior to priming and painting.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
The heavy twisted wire brushes on a 4 1/2" angle grinder work best for me. Wear a good face shield and your heavy clothes though. When a piece of wire from those wheels gets thrown, they are like little bullets. I've had them lodge into my skin 1/4" before.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried to post a picture but it didn't work. Please look at my albums under USER CP lower hinge.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Tried to post a picture but it didn't work. Please look at my albums under USER CP lower hinge.

Thanks
Mike
Other users can NOT see your User CP. Maybe you could open your user CP for your photo, scroll down below pick and you will see the url address.
Copy this address ( right mouse click and copy) go to your post and click on the "Mountain pic" insert the URL ( right click and paste) press enter. This should post the pick for you. to view the pick you will need to "Preview the post.
By the way "Why would you like to clean the rust? Do you plan on reusing it? :sign0020:
The heavy twisted wire brushes on a 4 1/2" angle grinder work best for me. Wear a good face shield and your heavy clothes though. When a piece of wire from those wheels gets thrown, they are like little bullets.
works best for me as-well.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm using a Apple MAC book not sure why I can't copy and paste pictures but very frustrating.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'm using a Apple MAC book not sure why I can't copy and paste pictures but very frustrating.
Doesn't have anything to do with being a MAC... you cannot copy and paste a photo on the forums from any computer, you have to insert the URL (webaddress) of the photo. When you are creating a message look for the square icon with a yellow background with a mountain range and a moon. Click that Icon which is the Insert Image icon and provide the web address of where the photo is located.

See this for instructions on photos... http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15797

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can't post pics

I have been following the posted instructions but can't seem to get pictures of the rust posted. Not sure why I think I am following all the instructions but it's not working. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong but haven't been able to identify it yet. I much rather prefer copy and paste. Well I will keep trying I really would like to hear advice on my repairs.

Thanks
Mike

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,713 Posts
a small hand held blaster would work well. another option would be naval jelly . as long as it is rinsed good.
PD.....Where is a good place to get one?

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Harbor Freight does have spot blasters,but the tips don't last long-About 5 hours of blasting time.
I've one from Sears(siphon blaster)that looks like a paint gun,but you put sand in it.not very good either.
The best I've used is the Sears siphon blast pot.
I usually fit my part,then blast the part and either blast or wirewheel where it goes.It is very,very important to have clean metal for the best weld!
Mike.:):bowtieb:

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I posted again and only got a ?. Any suggestions?
Do you have a picture host?Such as Picture Trail or Imageshack?
If you do,highlight the picture,go to the right side of page and right click on"get url for forums".Drag you mouse to highlight the address.Then left click on "copy".X-out of the picture host and go to your new post and right click to "paste".The address will show on your new post.The picture will be seen in the forum as a thumbnail picture in your finished post.
Mike.:):bowtieb:

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Killing the Rust 'virus'

Before I get started I've been putting all of my pieces in a 10:1 solution of Milkstone Acid Rinse. Available at your local Tractor Supply Store. You know when it's done killing the rust virus when the area turns to black. Then I like to hit it with aluminum oxide to clean it up nice. Repair as needed with confidence since it gets into those hard to reach places. It's safe, effective and less than $15/gallon.

·
Administrator
66,133 Posts
The heavy twisted wire brushes on a 4 1/2" angle grinder work best for me. Wear a good face shield and your heavy clothes though. When a piece of wire from those wheels gets thrown, they are like little bullets. I've had them lodge into my skin 1/4" before.
Have seen this method work quite well :tu

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pictures

Robert thanks for posting the picture for me. Can Milkestone be brushed on or does the part have to be submersed?

·
Registered
13,421 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What gauge metal

What gauge metal is used in this area? QUOTE=MP&C;1167557]Here's your picture.........

[/QUOTE]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts