Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any of u had any luck using a clutch cable,i had the clutch assembly checked&said it looked like new.it is a gm difram and is very hard to push, any help would so nice-tks wagonwillis.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
You have the big assist spring to help hold it in once it is down? It's under the dash hooked to the pedal mount.

I remember the old days with a stiff clutch. You put it in neutral at lights. All us kids had muscular left legs.

Not sure if a cable would help. You would be pushing/pulling the same thing, only with a different method. You would have to change some geometry to make a difference in the forces needed.

You could get a softer plate. Hard to know for sure without knowing what's in there now. Maybe go with a hydraulic kit.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tks 4 the help,pedals have been changed&clutch was cked on a clutch bench.wagonwillis.

·
Registered
35,344 Posts
Not sure if a cable would help. You would be pushing/pulling the same thing, only with a different method. You would have to change some geometry to make a difference in the forces needed.
I agree with the above. Not only that, if you want to reduce the force, you have to increase the travel, as long as your foot is the only thing supplying force.

Where were you going to source the parts for a cable setup?

The only Chevy I can recall with a cable is a Chevy II, not even sure on that.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I agree with the above. Not only that, if you want to reduce the force, you have to increase the travel, as long as your foot is the only thing supplying force.

Where were you going to source the parts for a cable setup?

The only Chevy I can recall with a cable is a Chevy II, not even sure on that.
If you call them Chevys you forgot Vega/ Monza. They did not work so good, like pulling through firewall.

·
Registered
35,344 Posts
I had a feeling I didn't get it right saying Chevy II. Chevy II had a weird bellhousing and linkage but it was still linkage. You're right about the Vega/Monza. Both that they had it, and that it didn't work great.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I switched to a Centerforce II clutch in mine after talking with the rep and couldn’t be more pleased. Very light pedal and holds my little 400hp small block without issue. Never had it chatter or slip. Best clutch I’ve had and pretty much all my hot rods have been stick cars since 16.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts