Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to adjust the free play on the clutch linkage, cause the pedal was engaging the clutch close to the floor. After I did I tryed it and the pedal stiil was not right, I pushed the pedal and it went to the floor. I then realized that the linkage at the pass. side of the colum was not holding the clutch rod when the pedal was depressed. I tried tightening the holding bolt but still doesnt hold. Does anyone know if the whole pedal needs replacing or just the arm with the hold down bolt?

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
The OEM clutch linkage in these cars is marginal at best new and real trash after almost 60 years. Pull it out and ship it to Earl Williams for upgrades not cheap but worth every penny.

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
The OEM clutch linkage in these cars is marginal at best new and real trash after almost 60 years. Pull it out and ship it to Earl Williams for upgrades not cheap but worth every penny.
What does it cost to upgrade a pedal you already own?

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you look into the Earl Williams coach works clutch deal,
do a search here or internet for issues with it, it is not without complaints.
Just sayin'
but yah the stock linkage does kinda suck, its mainly that ridiculous splined pedal swing pivot deal,
but I have problems with that weird "overcenter spring" that Chevy used as a return spring, I actually added a return spring to the clutch fork so my clutch pedal would stop sticking to the floor when shifting hard into second.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Mike, We had similar problems on a 55 and it finally worked great after switching over to hyd. cyl. clutch. This will work great, at least for us it was good.
Larry From Tulare, CA

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike, We had similar problems on a 55 and it finally worked great after switching over to hyd. cyl. clutch. This will work great, at least for us it was good.
Larry From Tulare, CA
Thanks Larry, Not ready to go that route yet but when I change out the transmission for a Muncie I will be adding the hyd. clutch also.. I think for now I will just get the orignal parts replaced with new..

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the get ideas, I actually just got the parts, new pedal kit, I will be using that for now..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts