Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1955 210 SERIES, 406 DUAL QUAD ENGINE WITH MUNCIE 4 SPEED
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i bought my 55 several years ago it did not have a clutch pedal return spring. It was an old drag car and often springs were removed for a better reaction time. I put a mak shift spring on but the pedal has a lot of bounce.
Is it a big deal to install a correct clutch return spring. From what I can see I need a complete kit. Do I drop the column?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
The original clutch return spring is actually an "over-center" spring. It assists with reducing the amount of foot pressure it takes to depress the clutch and then when it reaches it's over-center point it acts as a return spring for the clutch pedal. As you have learned you really don't need the spring unless you have a very stiff clutch OR you want the pedal to return to it's normal at rest position. You can use a lighter return spring anywhere in the clutch linkage that will allow the spring to retract the pedal. You could use one under the dash or under the hood.

If you want to restore the original spring one way to make this easier is to put one end of the spring in a vise and while pushing and pulling the spring from side to side you can install large washers that will act as spacers. This will serve to lengthen the spring making it an easy matter to reconnect to the original mounts under the dash. The more washers you use the longer the spring will grow. Use as many as it takes to hook the spring up. Then when you're done step on the pedal and all the washers will drop out. You shouldn't need to drop the column.

BTW the spring is actually adjustable once it is installed. Look in the assembly manual and you will see the forward mount (i think) is adjustable. If you don't get it right you may find that the clutch pedal will hang up on the floor when you expect it least. This could be why it was originally removed!

Don

·
Registered
38,740 Posts
Here's a way to avoid the washers or at least reduce the number of them.

Remove the stop under the dash for the clutch pedal's upward travel. Pull the clutch pedal up as far as it will go. It will come up a lot higher than with the stop in place. You should be able to hang the spring an start the upper bolt on the spring bracket, maybe both. You can use a long crescent wrench or pipe wrench to rotate the bracket to get the second bolt started. Then you can push the pedal to the floor and install the stop. You might want to hold the pedal on the floor with a 2x4 or the like between the pedal and dash for safety's sake. Be really careful of your fingers and hands, the spring is quite powerful.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice, clutch is a bear to push in, so I am glad to find out that the factory installation helps. I will go back to the original

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cant install clutch return spring

Got the parts and tried to install them. Guess what . No place to hook either end of spring the way the installation manual says. However there is a heavy pin that run horizontal that looks like a return spring would connect to. I know that this car has had some modifications over its life time. I there another later bolt in C&BPS. that may be in this vehicle. Was 55 through 57 the same. Any thoughts on this subject are appreciated.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have these parts?
Yes those are the parts I just received. I think I know what the problem is. The bracket on the clutch pedal has been sawed off and ground smooth. Only 1/2 the piece remains on the clutch arm. Also it Looks like I need to remove the cluster for better access to the reward attachment.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
On Clutch and brake pedals and more

Depending on how serious that you ar with your clutch/pedal et al
Beware that these clutch and brake frames had problems. the main problem is the splined arm on the PS of the frame. Sometimes they will slip on the splined shaft as it is only splined half way around the shaft.

You can send your clutch and brake frame to Williams classic Chassis in California and they will re-manufacture it with a new fully splined shaft and a hardened splined arm. They use other heavy duty parts such as heim ends and a heftier stop for the clutch rod wher it rests on the rubber mount. They also send a new piece that goes from the splined arm to the clutch Z bar.
Once you have received this and installed it properly your problems in this arae are over. The cost is not cheap but remember, how fast do you want to go? How much are you going to spend?

Garys Gearbox

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.