Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to hook spring ( under dash) is there an easier way to hook this, it seems when I almost get it the pedal is all the way to the floor. seeing how I got the body off & have the floor cut out. it would be a good time to do it.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,704 Posts
went to hook spring ( under dash) is there an easier way to hook this, it seems when I almost get it the pedal is all the way to the floor. seeing how I got the body off & have the floor cut out. it would be a good time to do it.
Dejavu...The pedal arrangement has an over-the-center type of travel...Cosequently, the spring is most stretched in the center of its travel.

You can clamp one end of the spring in a vice and stretch the spring by bending the other end....Then insert large washers to hold it in the stretched position....This will help you get it installed.

(Hope this makes sense)

·
Registered
37,243 Posts
The easiest way to do this is to remove the rubber bumper and bracket that limits the upward travel of the pedal. Without it in place, the pedal will come up a lot farther, until the pedal arm hits the dash. At this point the spring is not stretched as much, and you can hook the firewall end and start one bolt on the pedal arm. Then you can rotate the bracket on the pedal arm to get the second bolt started. Then tighten the bolts and push the pedal down and replace the rubber bumper and bracket.

I'm a little short on details, it's been a while. But it's not too hard to figure out once you know to swing the pedal up to the dash.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the suggestions, been doing errands haven't got back to doing anything with the car. I will update you on the spring episode as soon as I can. have a good day all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts