Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple days ago my 57 wagon (3 speed/OD + 235) starting 'shuddering' as I pull out in first or reverse.

I have less than 5k on new clutch pressure plate, been resurfaced, trans rebuilt.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Tim

·
Registered
324 Posts
:confused0006:believe it or not,i had one do that an the holes in the clutch linkages were wollowed at little,i took them off.brazed them up & drilled out,the shutter stopped.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Who made the Clutch..I have a Brand New Zoom Clutch with Kevlar Disc and when taking off in 1st or Reverse it takes getting used too as the Kevlar Clutch grabs and doesn't slip like a normal clutch which makes the car shudder some when starting out! Just wondering what you have?

·
Registered
947 Posts
My truck did that for awhile after a clutch replacement.
Whenever it did, I would take off from a stop in high gear and slip the clutch while revving the engine a little higher.
In other words I burned the clutch a bit.

Shudder gone.

I guess it may have had oil or grease on it or it need to be seated better.
Worth a try anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
I've had this with other cars, and it is not always the clutch – although it happens when the clutch is disengaged: Look at (1) condition of uni joints and (2) condition of rubber in rear suspension. Ie, anywhere there is looseness behind the clutch. It could be that the tightness of a new clutch is showing up deficiencies elsewhere.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,353 Posts
I have less than 5k on new clutch pressure plate, been resurfaced, trans rebuilt.Tim
Tim....Reading your post, its hard for me to tell if you had the flywheel resurfaced....If not, that could be the source of your problem.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I think it was the Centerforce tech that told me you have to break in a new clutch disc. I didn't have any problems with mine but a few hole shots should break it in nicely:D

Don

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
CLUTCH

I think its either grease or oil on the disc or the transmission mounts are bad.Its hard to see if the mounts are sometimes.I would take a floor jack and a block of wood and jack the tailshaft up a bit,you will probably need a flashlight to take a good look at the mounts rubber and that will show you if you have a torn/worn mount.Thats how I found my bad transmission mount.
GREG

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the input.

the clutch has roughly 5k on it, so it should be broken in. this just started out of the blue four or five days ago.

the flywheel was resurfaced when the clutch was replaced.

probably not gonna be doing any hole shots w/ a 235. lol.

-Tim

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Oil got on the disc. Or bolts came loose on the pressure plate. Or motor mounts broke or weakened. Or linkage got itself into bad position, looseness. Start at the easiest check of these for you and eliminate causes, one by one. When/if all else fails, remove the clutch and examine it, and replace parts as needed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the ideas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts