Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep riping the springs out of clutch disc,do not know what to do to fix the promblem. any help out there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Are you installing the disc properly? When are the springs falling out? how many miles do you put on the car before the problem starts. When you install the transmission, does it go all the way in flat against the bell housing, or do you have to use the four bolts to pull the transmission all the way in to the bell housing? Is the disc size correct?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the clutch disc is installed properly, I had driven about 300 miles,before one of them came out. This time it happened shifting 1st. to 2nd. I had to use the four bolts to draw it in. I was using a 11in disc at the time this is not the frist time this has happen.

·
Registered
37,967 Posts
Seems an unusual problem to me. I've seen them broken before, but only after long hard drag racing use. Most drag race setups run a solid hub and use other ways to cushion the launch and shifts.

So I'm with moses here, need to know more about the conditions where this is happening. Also what's the symptom, how do you know?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
You should not use the four mounting bolts to draw the transmission in. This is one reason so many trannys have the ears welded back on. Next time be sure to use a clutch alignment tool and then try pressing in on the clutch fork while you install the tranny. It should always slip right in never needing much force at all.

Don

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
clutch problems

I drive on the streets, a little wild at times. I have beem using Zoom diaphrgm. Its seems to happen between shifts,you can hear the spring inside the pressure plate. Then it will not shift. This is about the sixth time it has happen over the years. I have replaced flywheel,linkage,transmission, an I have the same problem. I thank-you for any help!. I'am sorry it takes me so long to answer, I'am learning my way around the site.:blowtiedb:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sold auto parts for 35 years. When a disc would come in for warranty with the springs out ( didn't happen a lot) the rep for the company that sold the clutches would say this. Springs in the disc are designed to "push" or compress one way mostly, they go opposite in reverse but that is much lower rpm, and he said the reason the springs are coming out is down shifting and letting clutch out at higher rpm, making them go too far in the direction they are not designed to. Hope I'm making sense in describing this. It mostly happened in trucks coming in off highway on down ramps. This might not be the reason in this case, just something I remember them saying.

·
Premium Member
19,668 Posts
Sold auto parts for 35 years. When a disc would come in for warranty with the springs out ( didn't happen a lot) the rep for the company that sold the clutches would say this. Springs in the disc are designed to "push" or compress one way mostly, they go opposite in reverse but that is much lower rpm, and he said the reason the springs are coming out is down shifting and letting clutch out at higher rpm, making them go too far in the direction they are not designed to. Hope I'm making sense in describing this. It mostly happened in trucks coming in off highway on down ramps. This might not be the reason in this case, just something I remember them saying.
:tu Springs in the disc are designed to "push" or compress one way mostly, they go opposite in reverse but that is much lower rpm, and he said the reason the springs are coming out is down shifting and letting clutch out at higher rpm, making them go too far in the direction they are not designed to
this also is what I was explained many moons ago from a friend that builds high performance trannies/stick set ups.

·
Registered
164 Posts
sounds like bill and r66s have the solution the only other thing i could think of is the one thing you haven't replaced the bell housing misalignment tear stuff up too.

·
Registered
303 Posts
You should not use the four mounting bolts to draw the transmission in. This is one reason so many trannys have the ears welded back on. Next time be sure to use a clutch alignment tool and then try pressing in on the clutch fork while you install the tranny. It should always slip right in never needing much force at all.

Don
Sound advice, Don. :tu

1 - 13 of 13 Posts