Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys help me out here.... I've been looking around for some mid mount bracket and pulley systems for the 454 that is going in my 57.

I have come across a few cogged belt systems on ebay, is there any benefit to a system like this on a street car, moderately built engine....or is it just for show? I found 1 inch and 2 inch.

Gotta say they look cool, but not sure the cool factor is worth 600 bucks. Do you know anything about these setups?

I was also concerned that they take up too much space in front of the engine and could cause an interference with the rad in the 6 cyl. position.

Gil

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
gilmer belts are usually used on high rpm engines to prevent belt slippage.
i think they do look great but not for 600 unless you were racing and needed it.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'm running a top cogged belt on the a/c pulley. The beveled slots in the cogged belt helps it to better negotiate the pulleys than a solid belt. The belt stays on the pulley better at high rpm because it allows the belt to better conform with the pulley. It is a Dayco belt.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, for some reason the picture didn't link so that you could make it larger.... I'lll try again.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I can't make the picture bigger.

Gil

·
Registered
948 Posts
Keith, Thanks for sharing. I thought 57-Geez was referring to conventional "V" belts. My eyes were wide open at Black Mountain Precision's web site. Like a Big Boys Toy Store. Now to make room in the budget.:tu

·
Registered
36,146 Posts
I see a problem with a cogged belt unless it's specifically addressed. Maybe it is on some systems.

It seems to me that the layout of the pulleys must give you a precise belt length that is a multiple of the tooth pitch of the belt. I'm not real sure how you do that with multiple pulleys. Just seems like an extra problem to deal with.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
im using this kit ,

Big Block Chevy short water pump billet aluminum Cog Belt Conversion Kit 1" wide belt.
COGCBS-1 on my 496 no issues at all,
Have any more up close pictures of that setup Randy?

which alternator bracketry did you use?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, Guys thats the one I was looking at. The ones from Black Mtn. THey look awesome, a little pricey, but they look awesome. There is an adjustable slider on the alt. bracket, and to run the power steering they us a conventional V belt off the front of the crank pulley.

R66, you say you have this set up, is there plenty of room in front for spal fan and radiator on your big block?, I am looking at this setup too. Are you set up with power steering as well??

Gil

1 - 12 of 12 Posts