Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I'm thinking about going with coil over shocks on the front end of my '55 Chevy. I'd be most interested in any advice or experience the group has had with this...

Thanks!

Tony in FL

·
Premium Member
13,795 Posts
don't go cheap.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I decided on an Aldan American single adjustable shocks with 500# springs for a inline 6 / 2 door (you may want more spring with a somewhat heavier engine). At the same time added 5* upper control arms and 1" anti-sway bar, pretty happy with ride, handeling and adjustability of the combination compared to OEM as originally purchased. FWIW rear is also coilover / 4-link / panhard set up.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Back in 2005, I went with the entire line of Heidt's front end products. Tubular upper and lower control arms, drop spindles, coil-over shocks and Wilwood disc brakes. While I can't really give you an apples to apples comparison just of the coil over shocks before and after, I was extremely pleased with the way the car drove and handled after all that hardware was installed. And this was all done while I still had manual, (idler-arm bearing kit), steering before going to rack and pinion.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I decided on an Aldan American single adjustable shocks with 500# springs for a inline 6 / 2 door (you may want more spring with a somewhat heavier engine). At the same time added 5* upper control arms and 1" anti-sway bar, pretty happy with ride, handeling and adjustability of the combination compared to OEM as originally purchased. FWIW rear is also coilover / 4-link / panhard set up.
How hard is the installation of the coil overs? Thanks

·
Registered
157 Posts
Installation of all front end parts mentioned is pretty straight foward. With all parts on hand prior to start, my 2 sons, myself and a good hydraulic jack set it all up on a Saturday, aligned it on Sunday. One thing I failed to bring up.... we also installed 2" dropped spindles which is something you may want to consider if lowering is to be a part of your program. If you go as far as we did parts wise its best to get everything together before starting......spare nuts bolts, shims and in my case front wheel bearings..... because if you're like me good help is sometimes hard to get when you need it.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
How hard is the installation of the coil overs? Thanks
Easy peazy! Honestly it is not hard at all. All you need is basic tools and a good jack (and of course jack stands).

I'd highly recommend getting the roller bearings so you can adjust the height of the springs with a spanner wrench (get those too).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts