Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out what springs to put in the rear of my 56 2 door sedan. I dont know what is in it now but they bottom out really easy. does anyone have any recomendations.the car has 30" ladder bars. the spring size is 2-1/2" x 10" just need to figure out what spring rate. would like to know what some of you other tubbed guys are using . any help would be appreciated . thanks John :):wavey:

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
I am trying to figure out what springs to put in the rear of my 56 2 door sedan. I dont know what is in it now but they bottom out really easy. does anyone have any recomendations.the car has 30" ladder bars. the spring size is 2-1/2" x 10" just need to figure out what spring rate. would like to know what some of you other tubbed guys are using . any help would be appreciated . thanks John :):wavey:
Hi John, my 57 has #250lb coilover springs..the research i did and confirming with Art Morrison found thats the common rear spring rate for our cars:)

·
12,256 Posts
What shocks are you using and what is the stroke and shock angle? Typically you want to run the shocks 1/3 to 1/2 compressed.

·
Premium Member
14,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tci shocks 17 degree angle 14" extended 11.5 " installed @ ride height shocks use a 2.5 x 10 spring :bowtier:

·
12,256 Posts
tci shocks 17 degree angle 14" extended 11.5 " installed @ ride height shocks use a 2.5 x 10 spring :bowtier:
Okay, I'm going to assume your car is 3400 pounds, 45% of that in the rear, or 1530 pounds. I'll take 300 pounds of unsprung weight off for the diff, wheels, tires, etc. So you have 1230 pounds to support, 615 at each corner.

Accounting for the shock angle, that's 643 pounds....call it 650.

You have 2.5" of compression at the desired ride height. So take 650/2.5 and you get 260 lb/in.

That assumes you have no preload on the springs with the adjusting nut. So I'd go with either a 250 or 275 lb/in spring. I don't know for sure how close my weight estimates are for your car, but either spring should work.

·
Premium Member
14,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's unanimus. 250# springs it is. I will be ordering them next payday . Thanks for help the guys. John:happy0030::):bowtier:

·
Premium Member
14,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered new springs today qa1 2.5 x 10 x 250# they get here next week . should have them on asap . I get tailpipes next week too . then maybe my hearing will come back . :):bowtier:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Got a set of 250's coming for the rear, and 450's for the front. Adding the big block and the blower necessitated the heavier springs up front. Anyone need a brand new set of KYB shocks. I just put a set on in August and they might have 500 miles on them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts