Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Official Trifive Sponsor
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So I decided to purchase cold case from Ecklers as you mentioned on this thread. They have 2 listings, 1 for V8 position and 6. I ordered the 6cyl position and it finally arrived today, speedy delivery. It looks like i received the v8 position. I was expecting the top radiator hose to be more to the drivers side and not dead center. Can you tell me if this will work without modifications to radiator support bar? Do i need to ship this back?

Thanks.

Greg
Greg, We'll get this figured out for you very quickly. We're assuming that in either case, you are installing an 8 cylinder. Therefore the inlet and outlets are both 8 cylinder position. Therefore, both the 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder radiators we make are going to look identical with the exception of the side brackets.

Can you give me the part number that is on the box?

Also, do you have a 6 cylinder or an 8 cylinder support?

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,959 Posts
Therefore the inlet and outlets are both 8 cylinder position. Therefore, both the 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder radiators we make are going to look identical with the exception of the side brackets.
A center inlet radiator will not fit a 57 model in the 6 cylinder position.

·
Registered
54 Posts
This is the part I ordered from Ecklers. 57-386795-1. I have a v8 and wanted to mount the radiator outside but everything i have read in order for this to work and not make modifications i would need it to clear radiator support. So I guess i need to send this back?

Thank you.

Greg

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Radiator

I ordered a Cold Case radiator off of E-Bay today model (RPE562). I am having it dropped shipped to Mikey (55wagoncrazy) for installation on my 56 Nomad. I just don't trust my original Harrison radiator to be able to handle the new 350 crate engines higher HP, especially since I intend to use an original short water pump and four blade fan with no shroud. I contacted Cold Case before I ordered it and they said that it would easily handle my engine configuration as it will cool up to a 600HP engine. I am sure that Mikey will post updates on my Nomad build thread as things progress.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Same reason i ordered mine, looks like a good product that will handle what i have. What position are you having yours mounted in?

·
Official Trifive Sponsor
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
This is the part I ordered from Ecklers. 57-386795-1. I have a v8 and wanted to mount the radiator outside but everything i have read in order for this to work and not make modifications i would need it to clear radiator support. So I guess i need to send this back?

Thank you.

Greg
That model is designed to fit in the 6 cylinder position provided the support is a 6 cylinder support. By simply taking a v8 car and moving the radiator in front of the support It's very cumbersome to mount the radiator. The brackets on the radiator would have to be huge. It would look bad and it would be poor structurally. It's just not something that we're uncomfortable with making or selling. It's so much more common for owners to drop v8's in 6 cyl cars. In your case, you should seriously consider switching to a 6 cyl rad support to accomplish your goals. If you shop around a little more, I think you'll agree with my assessment. If not, then I'm sorry but you will have to return it. If for any reason Eckler doesn't reimburse you for shipping, lmk and we'll take care of it. I'm very sorry this happened. We're going through a few growing pains and we now see that we have to provide our dealer with a better description to prevent this from happening to other owners. Again, my apologies.

·
Official Trifive Sponsor
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I ordered a Cold Case radiator off of E-Bay today model (RPE562). I am having it dropped shipped to Mikey (55wagoncrazy) for installation on my 56 Nomad. I just don't trust my original Harrison radiator to be able to handle the new 350 crate engines higher HP, especially since I intend to use an original short water pump and four blade fan with no shroud. I contacted Cold Case before I ordered it and they said that it would easily handle my engine configuration as it will cool up to a 600HP engine. I am sure that Mikey will post updates on my Nomad build thread as things progress.
If you are around 600hp, you may want to be prepared to add a shroud and a bigger bladed fan. I'm not saying it won't cool 600hp without a shroud but at that hp rating, we normally recommend a shroud and at least 5 blade fan.
Maybe you could start a new topic once you get it installed and have some information to report.

·
Official Trifive Sponsor
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I am going to have it mounted in the standard V8 location. Behind the radiator support bar.

Steve
Steve,
Maybe you can start a new topic once you have it installed since we're a new sponsor. I know a lot of members have been reading and would like to hear some first hand results. We'd really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
HP rating

If you are around 600hp, you may want to be prepared to add a shroud and a bigger bladed fan. I'm not saying it won't cool 600hp without a shroud but at that hp rating, we normally recommend a shroud and at least 5 blade fan. Maybe you could start a new topic once you get it installed and have some information to report.
I guess that there is a small misunderstanding. The motor in my car is going to be a 200 HP GM Goodwrench crate with the original cast iron Powerglide transmission. I am going to equip the motor with the original 1957 WCFB carb, intake, 1956 log exhaust, original short water pump, and four blade fan with no shroud. I want the reliability of a new motor with the "old school" stock original look. Before I bought the radiator, I visited the Cold Case website and had an on-line chat with Eric who answered all of my questions. He assured me that the radiator would have no problem cooling my 200 HP motor since they are rated for 600 HP.

Steve,
Maybe you can start a new topic once you have it installed since we're a new sponsor. I know a lot of members have been reading and would like to hear some first hand results. We'd really appreciate it.
Mikey, (55wagoncrazy) has my Nomad this winter for some paint repair, the installation of the new crate motor, and a few other items. He has started a thread "Steve Krause's tropturq 1956 Nomad project". He will post fit and finish updates after he receives the radiator. Mikey will be painting the radiator black in keeping with the "old school" stock original look for my build. The motor will not be started/ run for some time yet, as this project is slated to be completed in spring. When Wisconsin thaws out, actual performance of the radiator will be evaluated and posted. You may want to consider adding a phone number for direct contact to your website. Some of the old codgers (not me) on this website might not be comfortable/satisfied with an on-line chat.

Mikey informed me today that he too is very interested in seeing this particular radiator, as he is in the market for an aluminum radiator for his own personal project.

Steve

·
Official Trifive Sponsor
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I guess that there is a small misunderstanding. The motor in my car is going to be a 200 HP GM Goodwrench crate with the original cast iron Powerglide transmission. I am going to equip the motor with the original 1957 WCFB carb, intake, 1956 log exhaust, original short water pump, and four blade fan with no shroud. I want the reliability of a new motor with the "old school" stock original look. Before I bought the radiator, I visited the Cold Case website and had an on-line chat with Eric who answered all of my questions. He assured me that the radiator would have no problem cooling my 200 HP motor since they are rated for 600 HP.
My bad, it was late when I read your post and I saw 600hp and got nervous! :) You will be fine with the combination you list above. Sorry for the false alarm. :beerglass:

·
Official Trifive Sponsor
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thank you for the feedback and honesty. I will let you know if i have any issues with Ecklers.
Please do. We're here to make friends, not Enemies! :shakehands:

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I have recently purchased an aluminum RPE562 Cold Case radiator from one of their dealers on Ebay. I had the need to contact them directly, but their website does not provide a phone line number. Instead, you have to do an on line chat. They called me back at my home and my caller ID provided me their phone number. For those of you who prefer to talk to a human being, the phone number is is:

(267)-638-5032

·
Official Trifive Sponsor
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I have recently purchased an aluminum RPE562 Cold Case radiator from one of their dealers on Ebay. I had the need to contact them directly, but their website does not provide a phone line number. Instead, you have to do an on line chat. They called me back at my home and my caller ID provided me their phone number. For those of you who prefer to talk to a human being, the phone number is is:

(267)-638-5032
That is one of our numbers. We don't publicize our phone numbers purposely in support of our dealers. For TriFive.com I'm including our toll free# is 1-844-629-7373 if you need any technical information about our products. You also can e-mail or Live Chat directly from our website and certainly ask someone to call you back. We'd be glad to call you right back just like what happened above.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Just got home from the ATFA Nationals. Talked to Eric on Friday and he was very helpful and informative. Came back later and bought one of your radiators. :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
A/C Condenser Mounting and Where Are Your Radiators Manufactured

Hi, been a while since I visited the Tri-Five Forum and have a couple questions to ask.
Where are your Radiators manufactured?
The Griffin downflow radiator is leaking in my 56 Nomad, and as expected, it's leaking in the area of the epoxy at the bottom tank. The Nomad will be eventually getting A/C and haven't looked into the various kits yet but wondered if you offer brackets to mount the A/C Condenser in front of the radiator? Forgot to mention, it's a V8 car with the engine in the stock location, not 3/4" forward and I prefer to mount the radiator in the 6 cylinder position ahead of the core support.
Thanks,
Mike T - Prescott AZ

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hi, Cold Case guys!

I'm planning on buying a radiator from you but I want to keep an older looking style under the hood, so I want to paint it with Eastwoods Radiator Paint. They say that its advantages is that it is thin enough to not interfere with heat transfer. Would you consider your 2-row still being comparable to a 4-row copper/brass even after being painted?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
The motor in my car is a 200 HP GM Goodwrench crate with the original cast iron Powerglide transmission. I have equiped the motor with the original 1957 WCFB carb, intake, 1956 log exhaust, original short water pump, and four blade fan with no shroud.

I too wanted an "old school look" so the Cold Case radiator in my 56 Nomad was painted with satin black urethane (very light coat on the core area). It cools the 350 with ease even on the hottest days.

Attachments

·
Official Trifive Sponsor
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Hi, Cold Case guys!

I'm planning on buying a radiator from you but I want to keep an older looking style under the hood, so I want to paint it with Eastwoods Radiator Paint. They say that its advantages is that it is thin enough to not interfere with heat transfer. Would you consider your 2-row still being comparable to a 4-row copper/brass even after being painted?
When you think about it, those that want to keep their radiator the OEM black color are rarely doing a big high hp motor. Since our radiator has more fluid capacity than even a 4 row copper/brass and aluminum dissipates heat better, you will not notice a temperature change when painting your radiator.

We have always recommended dusting the radiator with a metal etching primer and then just painting it with the appropriate gloss black. Most owners paint the tanks only as it's difficult to see the cores on the grill side once installed. On the engine side, if a shroud is used, the core is also very much hidden. If you wanted to paint the core as well, as long as you don't clog up the fins with paint, you will not see any cooling effects.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts