Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Kit came yesterday. Brackets came today. Installing mon. All parts looked great but the evaporator knobs did feel kind of cheap. Hey for $550 if it cools like coldmaster claims I'll be happy. Will let y'all know. Only thing I'm going to watch is the temp gauge. I have a 7 blade fan and a decent radiator in the 6cyl position but I'm running a manual fan with a spacer. Don't want to add more electronics so an electric fan isn't an option. Clutch fan a better option than the always running manual??
Coldmaster underdash ac finally installed. Gotta tell you, it's working great. Blowing ice cold and nice n quiet. For $550 for the entire kit(minus brackets) it's a hell of a deal! I'm more than satisfied

·
Registered
205 Posts
So guys/gals, now that the ac is installed it time to drive her harder than normal with AC running and watch temp guage. 350sb, 7 blade manual flex fan. Before ac temp guage always read about 185-190. I've heard talk about head temps could get high. How is that checked. If heads were getting excessively hot won't my temp gauge show a higher reading? If I'd does what's the fix? Better radiator? Clutch fan?

·
Premium Member
1957 Chevy Bel Air Convertible; ZZ4 w HEI ign; 700r4; 9" rear w/3:50 gears; pwr disc fr w drum rear
1,962 Posts
Not too many members here with good things to say about flex fans... I’m running a 6 blade clutch fan w good results. Hayden heavy duty clutch and Derale 17” steel fan. Fan half way out of shroud. Minimize gaps between shroud and radiator so air is drawn through (not around) radiator.

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
8,412 Posts
Wow, great price and tempting to say the least. The only thing is that I try to keep the "hot rod" look. I wonder what kind of bracket/pulley setup I would need? Should have kept the old bracket from the suburban donor.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Not too many members here with good things to say about flex fans... I’m running a 6 blade clutch fan w good results. Hayden heavy duty clutch and Derale 17” steel fan. Fan half way out of shroud. Minimize gaps between shroud and radiator so air is drawn through (not around) radiator.
Yea I've read back on flex fan opinions but it seems to be doing the job. Have a shroud properly placed. So just watch the temp gauge? No seperated head temp test? Wonder what this guy was talking about

·
Registered
205 Posts
Wow, great price and tempting to say the least. The only thing is that I try to keep the "hot rod" look. I wonder what kind of bracket/pulley setup I would need? Should have kept the old bracket from the suburban donor.
I like the hot rod look myself but down here in se georgia it does get kinda hot

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
8,412 Posts
Yea I've read back on flex fan opinions but it seems to be doing the job. Have a shroud properly placed. So just watch the temp gauge? No seperated head temp test? Wonder what this guy was talking about
I have no problem with a good quality flex fan WITH THE PROPER RPM RATING! Go to Autozone and get one and it's liable to be rated for 4Krpm. Take your red line rpm's, measure your pulley's, and do the math telling you how much faster the fan spins than the motor, then give it a but of extra room. Mine is rated for 10K rpm.

The chance of you or your car getting harmed by driving everyday with whatever car are much greater than the chance of getting hurt by a failed flex fan rated at the proper rpm's. You know, like flying is safer than driving, same thing. Still there is the fear of flying vs driving.

FWIW, I don't use a shroud. Don't need one so no reason to have one. I did have one long ago and boy did I hate the looks of it. So much "cooler" without one if you can get away without one. And the fan noise dropped a good 75%! I figure that noise = turbulence. Less turbulence = more air flow.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Pics attatched. Could raise evaporator up some but like full access to glove box. Did use vintage air brackets. View attachment 338341
Good god the interior of your car is sweet. Been following along here, and i will probably do the same kit at some point. Its good to see the finished product and hear how it works. i have heard 2nd hand reviews of different systems with people saying some were noisy. (fan wise)

So guys/gals, now that the ac is installed it time to drive her harder than normal with AC running and watch temp guage. 350sb, 7 blade manual flex fan. Before ac temp guage always read about 185-190. I've heard talk about head temps could get high. How is that checked. If heads were getting excessively hot won't my temp gauge show a higher reading? If I'd does what's the fix? Better radiator? Clutch fan?
I would just watch your temp gauge a bit, most likely the biggest spike will be in traffic. At 185-190 i feel you have some decent room on the temp scale to give before i would get super concerned. On my Monte Carlo, i would switch to the HD fan clutch in the summer months, mostly because i felt that it made the AC work better, getting more air across the condenser. I wasnt a huge fan of how much noise that clutch made, though.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Good god the interior of your car is sweet. Been following along here, and i will probably do the same kit at some point. Its good to see the finished product and hear how it works. i have heard 2nd hand reviews of different systems with people saying some were noisy. (fan wise)

I would just watch your temp gauge a bit, most likely the biggest spike will be in traffic. At 185-190 i feel you have some decent room on the temp scale to give before i would get super concerned. On my Monte Carlo, i would switch to the HD fan clutch in the summer months, mostly because i felt that it made the AC work better, getting more air across the condenser. I wasnt a huge fan of how much noise that clutch made, though.
Thank for the compliment on my interior. All colors match the data plate. It's a rare 1 year color. The coldmasters isn't noisy and is working great so far. Considering the price I'm real happy with it. I like the mechanical fan. Why add more stuff. If I do anything I'll upgrade the radiator if needed. I'm watching that guage!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts