Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm in the process of replacing my electric fuel pump on my '56 and I had to drain the tank of about 14 gallons. I was able to loosen the drain plug and I set up a system using a funnel and 3 5 gal. fuel cans. I had plenty of time to watch the drain and while doing so, I realized that this gas lacked color. I never really thought about it before, but this gas looked like the color of kerosene; clear. I remember as a kid that gas had a slightly orangey color to it. Did that color have some to do with octane and maybe the lead that was in it?? Remember Sunoco 260?? Didn't that have a slightly blue tint to it?? Anyway, guess I never really paid attention before. Some things have certainly changed, Carmine.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,678 Posts
In airplanes they tint the fuel different colors so when you take a fuel sample during a preflight you can identify quickly if someone put the wrong fuel in it. (blue tint = 100LL, Black tint = jet A)
Jet A is straw color (light yellow) not black BTW.

Most gas is pretty clear now days due to the ethanol I suspect as it has no color.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Dad had service stations...

His regular never checked less than 104 Octane & his ethyl was always over 112 octane. TEXACO brand...the redder the fuel = the more octane provided by the tetraethyl lead compound added. The state used to check the accuracy at the pump - both for volume delivered & quality of fuel dispensed. Good stuff in those days !

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
It must be expensive to remove the color from gas. When I was in highschool it cost $7.80 to fill my mustang from empty, now I can't fill my lawn mower for that!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.