Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bucket seats that have a plastic back along with all the handles and trim at the bottoms. The upholstery shop is not sure how to match these pieces. Said they could do these but would be extra work and of course money. They saw these pieces from the beginning so I am not sure why they act surprised.
How is everyone handling matching these with the seats themselves? Is there a paint that will stick and hold up on the plastic? Wrapping with a car wrap material? Covering with the same material as seats?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Pics would be nice!

·
Premium Member
14,861 Posts
SEM makes a spray dye that works great on vinyl & plastic. It is available in many colors and works great. Make sure you clean the parts real good before dying them and you will be very happy with the results.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bruce! It this paint pretty durable? Do you know what is the best cleaner to prep with? I assume they have the primer as well.
I am checking it out now.

Earl

·
Administrator
48,482 Posts
SEM makes a spray dye that works great on vinyl & plastic. It is available in many colors and works great. Make sure you clean the parts real good before dying them and you will be very happy with the results.
Curious Bruce...What would you use to clean the parts with?

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
8,800 Posts
Most good auto paint stores can even match your color. Clean the parts good with soap and water. Rinse well and use a good plastic cleaner like you would any automotive plastic part. Most of this stuff is made out of the same plastic that models are made of, as kids we painted lots of them.....same process.

No sanding is needed, but you can use a good scotch brite pad

Mikey

·
Administrator
48,482 Posts

·
Administrator
48,419 Posts
I always wash plastic pieces with dawn dish soap and warm water before painting. No sanding on surface or it will show through the paint.
Terry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts