Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished with 3 coats of color on the dash and outside firewall this morning . It kinda looks like metalic red oxide. with a little luck I'll get 3 coats of clear on in the morning before I leave for the funeral.

·
Registered
67,684 Posts
:pics-1:HINT

·
Premium Member
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes

Now remember I am retired and this is the only thing on my bucket list. My paint shop is my drive way and I wanted to get firewall completed ,engine reinstalled and fenders radiator shroud and hood reinstalled before winter. There is more body work to do.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Don't take this a criticism, cause I don't know, but I thought that the clear had to be shot on within an hour or so after the base tacked up in order to get it to adhere to the base coats.

I am just looking for information because I have this ahead of me.

Wayne

·
Premium Member
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Clear

Wayne I am using SPI Universal clear. Tech book says to let it sit overnight for activated single stage paint. I think this is so thinner outgases. I used this last year in 100 plus degree weather on my interior window trim and had great luck with it.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Don't take this a criticism, cause I don't know, but I thought that the clear had to be shot on within an hour or so after the base tacked up in order to get it to adhere to the base coats.

I am just looking for information because I have this ahead of me.

Wayne
That's the way I've done it... but I think you can actually sand out some base coat imperfections before clear too by waiting

·
Registered
37,219 Posts
How long you can wait and whether you can sand on the base is determined by whether the base is catalyzed or not. Some use hardener, some don't, some optional.

24 hours is a typical time window, though it can vary.

·
Premium Member
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Clear on

After sanding a few spots on the dash three coats of Clear. everything cleaned and put away. Now showere and hit the road for the visitation 180 miles away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts