Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's the deal. My car had manual steering on it when I got it. I decided last week to buy power steering for it as I thought it would be easier to do while the engine is out. So I bought the CPP 500 power steering box. I read that you need to shorten the column in order for this to work, so I also bought (5556OSC-K). Well today I was working on pulling my steering wheel and column and they aren't in the best of shape so I was thinking of just getting a new tilt column. More or less, my question is will I need both the part I bought (5556OSC-K) and the new tilt column or just the new column? My apologies if this is a dumb question. Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,309 Posts
If you are going to buy a tilt column, you wont need the one that you bought.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are going to buy a tilt column, you wont need the one that you bought.
Great. That's what I thought too. Just wanted to be sure. Also, do you know how you get the bracket off that goes around the column and mounts to the firewall? It seems like that is the last thing holding me back from getting the column out.

·
49,309 Posts

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
25,949 Posts
Great. That's what I thought too. Just wanted to be sure. Also, do you know how you get the bracket off that goes around the column and mounts to the firewall? It seems like that is the last thing holding me back from getting the column out.
Take the long bolt out thyat clamps the bracket to the column. Remove the 2 bolts holding it to the fi8rewall. You may have to spread the clamp so the bracket will rotate on the column. Rotate it so it will go past the shift lever. The opening in the bracket will then go past the steering shaft if you compress the spring out of the way.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
There will be many threads you can search to help you through the conversion to tilt. Essentially, you'll need to remove the bracket on the firewall that is holding the end of the current column. There are some choices to be made in which brand column to choose. There are some less costly columns out there - most on this forum will recommend either Ididit or Flaming River. I've had one of the cheaper units before - and I just bought a F/R for my '55...and that would be my suggestion. They also make a nice support for the floor pass through. Your other issue will be a rag joint to connect the column to the box. It is a very tight area and you need to choose the correct one. Many like the original column, and there are lots of good reasons to keep it. I enjoy the adjustability of a tilt, and a nice installation can make it look like your car came that way. Good luck.
JR

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There will be many threads you can search to help you through the conversion to tilt. Essentially, you'll need to remove the bracket on the firewall that is holding the end of the current column. There are some choices to be made in which brand column to choose. There are some less costly columns out there - most on this forum will recommend either Ididit or Flaming River. I've had one of the cheaper units before - and I just bought a F/R for my '55...and that would be my suggestion. They also make a nice support for the floor pass through. Your other issue will be a rag joint to connect the column to the box. It is a very tight area and you need to choose the correct one. Many like the original column, and there are lots of good reasons to keep it. I enjoy the adjustability of a tilt, and a nice installation can make it look like your car came that way. Good luck.
JR
I was debating between those two but they are just so darned expensive. Is the cost justified? I mean is there really that much of a difference in the cheaper CPPs and such and the more expensive F/R and Ididits?

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
"difference in the cheaper CPPs and such and the more expensive F/R and Ididits?"
The cheapos may have oddball components, while the 2 others mentioned, use GM designed parts.
We've replaced several odd balls w/ the FR or Ididit.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
I used A Borgeson power steering box in my '55 Nomad with a Flaming River steering column and a 15" American Classic steering wheel. Fits under my Dakota Digital cluster gauge panel.
Sanderson Headers fit with a quarter inch to spare.
Bob

Nomad Steering 2.JPG

Nomad Steering 1.JPG

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, Bob. That's beautiful! I love the classic look of the steering wheel. That's what I want to do. That's why I bought the column conversion- because I love the look of the original wheel. But my wheel and column are just in poor shape, so I think I'll go with a new tilt column and a 15" classic look wheel like you have.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I was debating between those two but they are just so darned expensive. Is the cost justified? I mean is there really that much of a difference in the cheaper CPPs and such and the more expensive F/R and Ididits?
I know the significant additional cost seems hard to justify; and again - I used one of the cheaper ones (didn't come from CPP, although I firmly believe they are all sourced from the same overseas manufacturer) without significant problem. There were, however, a couple of issues insofar as assembly and operation: the shift collar was not centered perfectly compared to the tilt collar, and the inside of the casting was rough, and required some work so that the paint wouldn't get scraped off every time it was tilted. Also the action of the shift collar was not smooth like a factory column and I wasn't able to determine why without taking it all apart. Alternatively, I've talked to a handful of Ididit/FR users and never heard a complaint, and respect when there's overwhelming sentiment on a subject on this forum (such as what lead me to Earle Williams and Ciadella). And just perhaps recent world events are encouraging me to pay attention to certain countries of manufacture more than I have. I ultimately chose a F/R and am not sorry I did.
JR

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm definitely a firm believer of you get what you pay for. I don't want any installation difficulties either or other problems such as the chrome coming off some time down the road. I think you've swayed my decision to what I already knew I should be buying. My friend is the kind of guy who says "oh how bad can the cheaper one really be? A column is a column". So I had him playing the devil on my shoulder. Thank you for your help.

·
49,309 Posts
Please read this Safety Alert:

Attachments

·
49,309 Posts

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Please read this Safety Alert:
Great safety alert Pops. Thanks. No one should ignore reading it, especially if they have or are considering installing an after market column and steering box.
Bob

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
I am also using a Flaming River column in my '49 Olds. I had to do some minor mods in order to use the same column. I have floor shifters in both cars using FR columns, and my ignition switch in both cars is on the dash. I didn't want too complicated a column, but they're both tilt types. I use rack and pinion in the Olds which gave me problems with bump steer and alignment. All fixed now.
I have driven my Nomad on a trip from Central CA, to SoCal, about an eight hour drive through heavy Los Angeles traffic without any problem. I plan to drive my Olds from Pismo Beach to San Diego, again through LA with the top down...Possibly in the fall for the Good Guys Show in Del Mar.
Bob

Olds 98 Int 3.JPG

Olds Flaming River steering and Lokar shifter.JPG

IMG_0832 (1).jpg

1 - 20 of 27 Posts