Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1957 210 2-Door Sedan
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have a floor shifter but kept the original steering column, what did you do with the housing where the shift lever is installed? Did you leave it in place, blank it, shave it or remove and leave the spot empty?
Font Auto part Handwriting Diagram Parallel

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
PO on mine did the same. I might have just left the stub- every time I cut something I have about a 50/50 chance I’d regretting it later 😜.
In any case, fairly straightforward to do.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I cut mine and filled it. Still showed some so just twisted it down to low position and have to lay in the floor board to tell it

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Manual or automatic transmission?
I have a 4-speed manual transmission. Removing the column shifter arm(s) may apply to an automatic transmission if using a floor shifter/console. Originally my car had a 265/PG trans. I also wanted a cleaned up look in engine compartment. Obviously what I did only applies if one does not need the shifter arm(s) and want to cleanup the column. That's why I posed it as a question in post #9, for a reader to consider.

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
I recall back in the 60's guys buying a thin black rubber boot that was made to go over the boss after removing the shifter. They of course didn't leave things smooth, but they looked pretty nice. Haven't seen them in close to 50 years, but I think JC Whitney sold them back then?

·
Premium Member
13,094 Posts
I have owned my 57 for 46 years. What I can tell you is that most people back in the day did not take apart the steering column to grind off, finish and repaint the shifter collar after installing a floor shift. Most of the time, you just sort of glued the rubber boot back on and called it a day. That is how mine is done.

Car Vehicle Steering part Motor vehicle Gear shift

Now, my son who is rebuilding a hulk 57 4 door sedan had removed all of the steering column parts decided he wanted a more finished look then the old man's ride so we cut off the bump, ground it down, JB welded the interior of the hole, USB brand “all metal” filler on the outside,
Finish, prime and paint.

So two approaches.

·
Premium Member
2,748 Posts
I haven't decided what I will do with both mine & my buddies column after I installed floor shifts in both cars.You can just buy a new shift collar that is smooth still would have to paint & dissemble both columns to install it or do as I've done years ago & cut the stub off fill & finish then repaint.Eastcoast old55 part# for the modified shift collar is 17-079 $38.00 His I have to also paint his new 15" stock style wheel & mine I'd like to remove the shift lever at the bottom.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts