Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 3 M series L-500 air cooled breathing helmet for sand blasting and painting. I built my paint room and ran the air line to it. I've been researching filters for this helmet and the filters I've looked at run $1400, that's more than I spent on the 3M helmet and the paint room combined. So I finally found someone to sell me a CO filter with a strong statement that I can't use it for Compressed air breathing. He also said that I need a water oil separator before this filter or it will ruin it. I called 3M and they only told me to get CO test kit as they were'nt allowed to specify what filter system. I've been messing with this for 6 weeks and still havent found anybody that will advise me with what filtering system for this compressed air system due to "LAWYERS". I've got 70' of 3/4" black pipe ran from my compressor, I installed a M-60 motorcraft filter
3' from compressor and another one at the paint booth, than I was going to install this new CO filter after it. This CO filter only takes up to 20 cfm is what the gentlman told me. I dont know if thats enough or not. Then he sent me some literature on the desciant filters that would cost me $1400, has anybody got some information without being afraid of LAWYERS????? I was going to buy an ordinary desicant filter but with all this hype over compressed air and CO poisioning I don't know what filtering system to buy. Any Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Bob H

Attachments

·
Administrator
70,807 Posts
Bob this may not be what you want to hear but the majority of spray painters do use an anti static jump suit with a removable mask & filter. The spray booths are designed to remove the unwanted overspray through fans that are filtered and under grated water filtration systems.

I noticed that your booth has surface mounted fluorescent light fixtures. You need something that will not provide any ignition to the fumes.

:anim_25: with the new helmet

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
i can save you some headache . staple plastic up on your walls before blasting. it will really mess up your walls fast.

as for the hood . i have a nova hood for blasting and a bullard hood for paint. my air is filtered good and the exposure is min since i neither paint or blast daily. if you want a separate air supply a shop vac will work well. plus you can fill it with ice .... :tu

·
RIP 02-03-2022
50,809 Posts
Bob this may not be what you want to hear but the majority of spray painters do use an anti static jump suit with a removable mask & filter. The spray booths are designed to remove the unwanted overspray through fans that are filtered and under grated water filtration systems.

I noticed that your booth has surface mounted fluorescent light fixtures. You need something that will not provide any ignition to the fumes.

:anim_25: with the new helmet

Xs2
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the replies, I understand the concerns for the filters and the reason for posting the question, I just wanted to know if there's other filters less than $1400. I plan on having high velocity fans, explosion proof and not to concerned with the fumes just wanted to know what filters others have for compressed air with their suits. The ones I looked at are tsunami filters, what others are there?
I would just use a filtered mask respirator but that would mean sweating my butt off in this Houston heat and the reason for the compressed air cooled hood.
I won't use booth for sandblasting will do that outside.
The reason I said the Lawyers is no one will give advise due to Lawyers and liability purposes on what air filtered system to use. I know the concerns it's just that all the systems sold are for paint booth systems not your hobbyist with one port, they handle all day and multiple users. BH

·
Registered
155 Posts
Your breathing air must be absolutely oil free or you're dead. I think SCUBA compressors are oilless or otherwise the compression part can't entrain oil. There is an ISO standard for oil, dew point, and particulates for pneumatically transferring various solids like flour, pharmaceuticals, cement, etc. The standards are pretty rigorous and they are stil a long way from breathing air. Don't breathe compressed air unless it is from a system specifically designed for producing breathing air.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Check out used dental grade air compressors. See Them on ebay occasionally

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.