Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I need some ideas on compressing my qa1 coilovers with a bare frame. I tried but the whole body keeps lifting up. I then tried a heavy duty ratchet strap with the jack underneath and almost got it but the strap got very tight and I was afraid of it breaking and knocking me out lol so I stopped that. Any ideas besides finding someone with big block to temporarily install. Thanks, Joe.

IMAG1837 by 55graffiti, on Flickr

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,751 Posts

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,751 Posts
Joe....Been thinking about this over night....You might be able to find a mini spring compressor or make your own with a set of C clamps....Work safe though.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Go to Home Depot and buy a 1/2" all thread rod, along with washers and nuts. Use a coupling nut; which is 2 to 3 times taller than a regular nut; on top. Your shock needs to be removed and a piece of steel large enough to cover the bottom shock hole with a 1/2" hole drilled in it for the rod. I used a piece of angle iron. I also double nutted the bottom of the rod so those nuts will remain where they are and not thread up the bolt. Put some big enough washers on the upper shock hole and put the rod through them. You need some 3/8" bolts to go into the lower control arm and through the cross member acting as guides, while you compress the spring. Put the coupling nut on top of the rod and start compressing the spring.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Go to Home Depot and buy a 1/2" all thread rod, along with washers and nuts. Use a coupling nut; which is 2 to 3 times taller than a regular nut; on top. Your shock needs to be removed and a piece of steel large enough to cover the bottom shock hole with a 1/2" hole drilled in it for the rod. I used a piece of angle iron. I also double nutted the bottom of the rod so those nuts will remain where they are and not thread up the bolt. Put some big enough washers on the upper shock hole and put the rod through them. You need some 3/8" bolts to go into the lower control arm and through the cross member acting as guides, while you compress the spring. Put the coupling nut on top of the rod and start compressing the spring.
Its a coil-over, the assy has to be in place....what your suggesting only works when the coil spring is separate from the shock. When the shock can be installed after the a-arm and spindle is joined together.

The best (safest) option is to wait for the engine/trans to be installed and use the weight to compress the coil-over spring. Im sure you could come up with something to do the job but what is the point??

Greg

·
Registered
575 Posts
Its a coil-over, the assy has to be in place....what your suggesting only works when the coil spring is separate from the shock. When the shock can be installed after the a-arm and spindle is joined together.

The best (safest) option is to wait for the engine/trans to be installed and use the weight to compress the coil-over spring. Im sure you could come up with something to do the job but what is the point??

Greg
You're right, I should have looked at the picture closer. Ted

·
Registered
177 Posts
I wonder if you could set a couple of concrete anchors in the floor and then screw some eye bolts in and connect a chain from the eye bolts to the frame?

·
Registered
37,299 Posts
You could do the concrete anchors, just don't let the guy I have to use at work put them in!

To make it safe and to keep from bending the anchor studs, you'll need
multiple anchors. Then make up a plate with holes drilled for the anchors and put an eyebolt or D ring of sufficient strength in the middle of the plate. You'd need to do this in two locations. Then you could use a comealong with chains or straps over the frame to pull it toward the floor.

Thinking about it, that's a lot of trouble and then your anchor plates or anchor studs are in the way unless you remove them and pitch everything. Might as well wait until later when the weight of everything works with you instead of against you. I think I would.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,027 Posts
I agree with Rick and Greg, wait till all the weight is on the car. In the mean time, if you want to mount the spindles to roll it around, cut some wood blocks to put in place of the coilovers and bolt it together loosely so you can install them later.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for posting guys! I can wait I was trying to get the car rolling and the motor won't be ready for awhile. Just trying to get what I can done before winter time since I have no heat in the garage. I am putting an aluminum ls1 engine in it also I just hope that's enough to keep the frame down.

·
Registered
37,299 Posts
I am putting an aluminum ls1 engine in it also I just hope that's enough to keep the frame down.
Well you can't do anything about that until you have the weight on it anyway. If the weight of the LS doesn't let you install the shocks/springs, the springs are probably too heavy anyway.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rick I am only using the 350 lb. Qa1 springs but I am using the williams shock mount to raise it up so the front will be around factory ride height. I know that is making it more difficult and part of the problem. I have a couple ideas I'm going to try if it they don't work maybe I can find a junk big block to hold it down.

·
Registered
11,214 Posts
Some time back, I read a thread on someone's website regarding the easy way to put springs back in. It showed disconnecting the lower control arm from the frame and having the knuckle assembled. The spring is then a straight shot up rather than compressing it and trying to keep it from spitting out. Of course, there isn't a shock in the middle as there is with a coilover.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Nick I tried your way and it worked perfectly! I did go to Lowe's and pick up some longer bolts to help pull it up and a ratchet strap on one side to pull it and line up the holes. It was so easy this way and there was not alot of tension on the strap I could still yank on it and move the control arm around. I also had the Jack under it the whole time. I wouldn't try this with a factory style coil but it worked perfect for coil overs. Thanks for the help guys!

IMAG1860 by 55graffiti, on Flickr

IMAG1859 by 55graffiti, on Flickr

IMAG1861 by 55graffiti, on Flickr

·
Registered
11,214 Posts
Just looked in on ya and recalled that the article mentioned all thread but you got it done.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Glad to hear that worked for the coilovers.

Mike B. and I were talking about this the other day when planning to change the springs and control arms on his '55. Mike mentioned that the factory shop manual says to take the control arm loose from the frame. (I've never done it that way)

Here's the page.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts