Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've welded in new floor and rockers (only tack welded)
I wanted to put the doors back on to verify that everything is still straight and true.

I bolted the hinges and doors back on, and the gaps are way off and the top of the door sticks out too far, bottom is in too far.... So I tighten up the bolts, close the door, see how bad it is, then loosen the bolts and loose my first adjustment.... It seems frustrating. Anyone have any tips for door adjustment? Maybe it's a 2 man job, ie someone holds the door in place while someone tightens the bolts?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,468 Posts
don't try to adjust to much at once when doing the hinges just do the front or rear bolts at one time not both also only adjust 1 hinge at a time . you can do it by your self but it is always easier to do it with some help .

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,422 Posts
Tape some short pieces of paint sticks or shims, the thickness you want the gaps, on the B pillar and rocker where the door edge closes. Loosen the bolts, close the door on the paint sticks. With the door against the sticks, tighten the bolts. If you want to do some fine tuning from there, mark the hinge location with masking tape, loosen 1 hinge at a time (as mentioned) and move the door closer to or farther away from the tape as a reference.
There will be some play in the hinge, so try to take the play out when tightening them, so the door won't sag so much.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Also remember that the Nut plates on the back side of the A pillar are all caked with that dried out tar. I found that once I cleaned all that out I had more adjustment that could be made.

As mentioned, mark the hinge some how, I used a felt tip marker to give yourself a reference line and then move one hinge at a time. There is a fair amount of adjustment that can be made.... I think that is what makes this task a pain.... I spent hours on mine... then took them off to blast the car. :confused0006:

Gil

·
12,256 Posts
This job is the biggest PITA on building a car, aside from aligning front end sheetmetal. I have found that you have to make slight adjustments and doing one hinge at a time as mentioned does help. I leave the bolts slightly "snug" and yank and pull the door where I want it, then tighten the bolts.

·
Registered
839 Posts
All good advise. you didn't say if you had left the hinges on the cowl or not.
If you did, that makes life a lot easier. The first thing I do is try to position the bolt on the hinges as close to where they were to begin with.Bolts and washers always leave signs of where they were. If you have the hinges completey off for paintig it makes it considerably tougher. For you guys that havent pulled your doors of yet. drill an 1/8 inch hole between the bolts through the hinge and door befrore you loosen thins up. this will give you a referrence point when the door goes back on. just hange the door and insert an 1/8 bit through the hole you drilled and shazamm, the door is where you started.
on aligning the door...
hang the door and snug up the bolts as close to where they were.
close the door easy to check the fit
always remember the when aligning doors. the gap at the rear is where you must start. you can't move the quarters, so the back edge of the door must be moved first.
you said you put new rockers in so it is possible the rockers could be off some.
I'm not being criticle but it happens.
that's why start at the rear egde.
I like to snug all but one . which I tighten firmly. after you check the initial fit determine what the door needs to make the rear gap right.
you said the door is out at the top ,in on the bottom. loosen the top hinge at the cowl and pull the top in. if it doesn't move loosen all but one of the lower hinge bolts. this will allow the door to pivit. snug all the bolts and recheck. door still in at the bottom? loosen all the lower hinge bolts on the cowl and all but one of the top hinge bolts and push the bottom out. that should look better. you may need to do more of the same to get it to fit perfect. next is the gap adjustment. got to get back to work. more later.:party0031:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks gentlemen! There's a lot of ideas and good advice in those posts!

Yes, my rockers could be off... That's why I only tacked them in place. The pockets that the lower hinge plates sit in were rotted on both sides too. I fabricated some new ones, and have them tacked in place, but they could be off too.

I'll keep trying and report back...

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts