Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a little confused here. I have been dealing with Ecklers for 20+ years or so now. Never had an issue with products, shipping or customer service. I have always been polite and concise with them, and gotten the same back. If a product was damaged or not quite what I wanted, it was always returned with no issue. REfuned or exchanged without trouble. If you work within the rules on their website and treat their personnel with courtesy, even when you are mad, you generally will not have an issue. Some of the stories I read on here are clearly BS. Not going to get into specifics, but there is some exaggeration going on.

Not going to get into a debate about this with anyone. Just my observations after reading all the hate mail on here.

Good day.

·
Registered
65,608 Posts
maybe we are just lucky here in Virginia because never had a problem also. one of my favs to buy from. :gba:

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I have bought from them 4 or 5 Times and never a problem. They are a large company and do not manufacture anything so I believe that is where some have run into trouble. Comments like did not fit or had to re work the part applies to most re pop parts. I will buy from them again

·
RIP: 05-24-2019
2,098 Posts
Not Hate

I could not call it Hate. There are very few things or People that I Hate.
I would list it under the Disappointed Colum.
Having ordered several "Original Replacement Parts" from Ecklers and opened the package, I found the pieces less than I had anticipated.
Poor quality chrome, Mounting configuration was not matching the original pattern.
I do not move quickly enough to return to sender for a replace or refund, My Fault there.
Finding that they are simply a middleman for the actual maker of the parts is another disappointment for me.
I have made the decision to not use Ecklers and look closer to home.
As far as Hate, Liars, Cheats, Thieves and Politics are all that create Discontent.
Chief bowtie-trifive

·
Premium Member
13,132 Posts
In the past I have tried being uber polite and courteous with ecklers however I have had the following list of complaints about them.
1. claim to have part in stock then find out a week later when it did not show up that is is on back order.
2. delay or refusal to refund after item #1
3. rude, ignorant customer service.
4. poor packaging for shipment
5. parts missing and unable to provide replacements
6. items significantly not as described
7. EXORBITANT OVERBLOATED SHIPPING COSTS AND PRICING

after all of that I refuse to buy from them any more, just not worth the BS

·
Administrator
48,400 Posts
OK guys, i have been very lax on the sponsor forum. No mention of other companies are allowed in a sponsors forum. Please abide by the rules. Terry

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
25,764 Posts
I think many of the complaints are common to large distributors. They don't manufacture, so they only know what the supplier of the item tells them and don't know if it fits or not.
I buy some parts from them if it's a good deal. I don't care about their "UP to 30% off" ads, because you have to put every part in your cart to get the real price.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
From my vantage point it doesn't make sense to buy from a distributor (at inflated price's I would add) , that in many case's has a part you purchase from them drop shipped from some other seller OR the actual manufacturer (with associated mark up) , only to find the item isn't in stock ....which has happened to me on a couple of occasions. That sets a series of events in motion such as paying shipping twice on an item or finding out the item isn't even available b/c the manufacturer is out of stock or isn't producing it any longer. It should be made clear to a buyer that an item is guaranteed in stock or the seller shouldn't take your money and waste your time, it always seems their time is worth $$ but ours....eh not so much. I find that the two most commonly used sellers of trifive parts (see moderator , no specific's) don't have a lot of use for you once they have your payment, they will usually fix things IF you put your disappointments with them out in the open for all to see, hence airing our collective disappointment where it should produce the best outcome for a consumer...tried and true !

·
Registered
35,317 Posts
From my vantage point it doesn't make sense to buy from a distributor (at inflated price's I would add) , that in many case's has a part you purchase from them drop shipped from some other seller OR the actual manufacturer (with associated mark up) , only to find the item isn't in stock ....which has happened to me on a couple of occasions.
The above is not a general rule, there are retail only outlets with good prices, low shipping costs, lots of inventory, great return policy, etc. Those do drop shipping too on some items. Those retailers also communicate about back orders. In other words almost the direct opposite of Ecklers.

And to the OP, there's no way all these guys are making this stuff up.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I don't buy here but for a totally different reason than most. As I am Canadian, I have hired a company that offers to receive US deliveries on my behalf. The item gets shipped to them, they hold it until I make the 45 minute trip to their shop and pay the flat rate fee to retrieve my parcel. I then declare the item at Customs when returning to Canada, pay the associated taxes and duties and take my parcel home.

The problem with Eckler's is that since the item is shipped to NY state, they insist on charging me NY state taxes. I have tried all manner of courtesy and diplomacy to make them see that my billing address is in Canada and that I have no reason to be paying NY state tax - I am neither a resident of NY or the US. Every other distributor I deal with (and there are a few) have no problem in applying common sense to my situation and not charge me US taxes. Ecklers's is content with an explanation that their system does it 'automatically" and somehow can't be changed. Fair enough, I'll deal with the companies who can. With a 37% exchange on the dollar, I just can't afford to pay taxes twice.

I think "hate" might be too strong a word to use in regards to my feelings towards Eckler's - indifference would likely be more descriptive. I just spend my weak dollar elsewhere.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
"They don't manufacture, so they only know what the supplier of the item tells them and don't know if it fits or not. "
If I rely on a company to sell me a part, for a specific application, it's their responsibility to qc what they sell.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
25,764 Posts
"They don't manufacture, so they only know what the supplier of the item tells them and don't know if it fits or not. "
If I rely on a company to sell me a part, for a specific application, it's their responsibility to qc what they sell.
Sure, that happens. They have a bunch of tri-5's sitting around, so they can put a bumper on or floor board in to make sure it fits. :)

·
LS Tech and Moderator
10,428 Posts
I don't buy here but for a totally different reason than most. As I am Canadian, I have hired a company that offers to receive US deliveries on my behalf. The item gets shipped to them, they hold it until I make the 45 minute trip to their shop and pay the flat rate fee to retrieve my parcel. I then declare the item at Customs when returning to Canada, pay the associated taxes and duties and take my parcel home.

The problem with Eckler's is that since the item is shipped to NY state, they insist on charging me NY state taxes. I have tried all manner of courtesy and diplomacy to make them see that my billing address is in Canada and that I have no reason to be paying NY state tax - I am neither a resident of NY or the US. Every other distributor I deal with (and there are a few) have no problem in applying common sense to my situation and not charge me US taxes. Ecklers's is content with an explanation that their system does it 'automatically" and somehow can't be changed. Fair enough, I'll deal with the companies who can. With a 37% exchange on the dollar, I just can't afford to pay taxes twice.

I think "hate" might be too strong a word to use in regards to my feelings towards Eckler's - indifference would likely be more descriptive. I just spend my weak dollar elsewhere.
. Its not the vendors fault most likely, if you are shipping it to a NY address. NY may require collection of state tax no matter if you live their or not or the company has a location there or not. Depends on the state law. Even if not a resident or citizen you still have to pay sales tax, state dependent as mentioned. Example, if you physically bought anything at a store you’ll pay state tax at the register. Now some states are now even collecting tax on out of state sales namely Amazon for example that are delivered to their state.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you've never had a problem with Ecklers, you've either bought very little from them, or been extremely lucky. I've bought from them since they bought CCI , and their service has steadily declined to the point that it's now ridiculous. I now woudn't buy a screw from them. Higher prices and higher shipping charges on the same parts other suppliers have. In stock parts become back ordered parts, months to get refunds/exchanges, rude and dishonest customer service personnel.

And I worked for them for two years, and know exactly what they tell their employee's, and their company policies. Buyers beware.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
In the past I have tried being uber polite and courteous with ecklers however I have had the following list of complaints about them.
1. claim to have part in stock then find out a week later when it did not show up that is is on back order.
2. delay or refusal to refund after item #1
3. rude, ignorant customer service.
4. poor packaging for shipment
5. parts missing and unable to provide replacements
6. items significantly not as described
7. EXORBITANT OVERBLOATED SHIPPING COSTS AND PRICING

after all of that I refuse to buy from them any more, just not worth the BS
I have bought parts from them over the years. Used to get the "club" discount and speedy USPS postage down under. In recent years I have only bought their specials, but only after doing a price comparison with other vendors.
On my last buy I encountered 1 & 2 from your list. The website said the parts were in stock so I placed the order and paid thru Paypal. A week or so later I had not received a shipping advice so I sent an email.
I got a quick response that 2 of the items were backordered. I asked them to cancel those parts, refund the cost and send the rest.
I got a message back saying they would do that. I got the parts, but no refund so I contacted them and they responded - "will be done soon".
No result 2 weeks alter and no response from emails, so I escalated it thru Paypal and Paypal solved it in a couple of days.

I will say I was very happy with the amount that Paypal refunded.:)

Cheers, Des

·
Registered
680 Posts
. Its not the vendors fault most likely, if you are shipping it to a NY address. NY may require collection of state tax no matter if you live their or not or the company has a location there or not. Depends on the state law. Even if not a resident or citizen you still have to pay sales tax, state dependent as mentioned. Example, if you physically bought anything at a store you’ll pay state tax at the register. Now some states are now even collecting tax on out of state sales namely Amazon for example that are delivered to their state.
Since everyone else I order from doesn't charge me NY sales tax then I think in this case it IS the vendor's fault. Other companies seem to be able to apply common sense to the situation, why not these guys too?

When I buy something in store then of course I would expect to be charged sales tax - that is totally different.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you've never had a problem with Ecklers, you've either bought very little from them, or been extremely lucky. I've bought from them since they bought CCI , and their service has steadily declined to the point that it's now ridiculous. I now woudn't buy a screw from them. Higher prices and higher shipping charges on the same parts other suppliers have. In stock parts become back ordered parts, months to get refunds/exchanges, rude and dishonest customer service personnel.

And I worked for them for two years, and know exactly what they tell their employee's, and their company policies. Buyers beware.
Same here. I quit soon after they bought out Late Great Chevys. They pull a sneaky move on me (us) soon after they took over. Rather than being upfront and honest about it, they deliberately left out an important part of their new club rules. I had just re-upped for 2 years and called them out on it. They wouldn't budge and I quit demanding my money back. I'll give them credit there though. I got the refund pretty quick. Although I've had nothing to do with them ever since.

Almost everyone I know has an Eckler's story. Maybe another time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts