Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it hit me. I purchased a new air compressor a Dewalt 30 Gallon Air Compressor, 155 PSI
Spec says Airflow Volume 6.2 @ 40 PSI, 5.3 @ 90

Now I thought I should put it to modest use. I did not buy it for blasting, but now I'm thinking I would like to give it a try.

I was hoping for a suggestion for a media/sand blasting unit I could get that would enable to do small abet slow tasks.
for example: Under side of hood, hood springs/hinges ...etc. I'm not looking to blast a frame in 1 hour, just "smaller" here and there projects. Looking for advice. I'm thinking I'm under powered by most standards but I'm taking a hobbyist view.

I would like to reach out to Eastwood, but what would they need beside the airflow volume and max PSI? I'm ignorant, but prefer not to sound as such on the phone if I call for suggestions. Thanks Fellas. - Chris

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Just bought that same compressor last winter. It was a step up for me as I was using a 20 gallon oilless from HF. I cant think of any air tool that requires more volume than blasting.

Most cabinet guns and syphon guns are rated at around 10 cfm at 100 psi. That said I have done many, many items small & medium w/ the old HF compressor. It just takes time to recover to usable pressure. To assist the Dewalt I plumbed in the tank from the old HF giving me 50 gallon capacity. I personally prefer a suction set up and for general around the home work & screened sand is cheap and effective. Any moisture in your media or compressor and your done. I also have glass beads and walnut shells for items that sand would be too aggressive on. Good luck and have fun w/ it. Nothing cleans up metal like blasting.
link to info

·
Administrator
66,151 Posts
I used Garnet media blast compound, ripped the paint off without distorting the panel, it is messy so we has a dedicated room to blast everything

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I have a hf floor model blast cabinet and run it with success with a 60 gal. 5 hp Campbell-Hausfeld single stage (twin cylinder) compressor. Very seldom do I have to wait for the pressure to recover.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Under side of hood,
Nope! Stay off the hood.
My choice in blast cabinets is Skatblast.
Quality Abrasive Blasting Cabinets - Made in USA | Skat Blast Inc.
Great productss, great service, quality replacement parts.
Your 30 gal will be out of breath, in short order, unless you stay with a small, table top unit.
Cycling that compressor to keep up, will just fry it.
My "non stock" 80 gallon unit has to get a breather when on extended duty cycle.
My 1 and only experience w/ Eastwood, was not good.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Siphon equipment sucks - literally they waist a ton of air & do not move much media.
I run a pressure pot system with kids play box sand from Home Depot it is sold in bags.. Sift the sand through a double layer of window screen before filling the pressure pot to remove the big pieces that will clog the nozzle. Tractor Supply carries Black diamond, Black beauty is available @ Amazon.
Don't breath the silica dust wear a respirator, if you wear eye glasses rinse them with water before touching the lenses the dust will scratch the glass. Wear protective clothing & welding gloves. If blasting in the yard move you DD's away then hose them off the blasting dust will scratch the paint. I blast outside mainly to keep the dust out of the shop. If using the blasting cabinet I still get dust in the shop. Also use a large tarp outside to recover some sand it can be used several times.
Here's a pressure pot:

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
8,784 Posts
I run a pressure pot system with kids play box sand from Home Depot it is sold in bags.. Sift the sand through a double layer of window screen before filling the pressure pot to remove the big pieces that will clog the nozzle.
I wish there was a Home Depot closer to me. The sand that Lowes sells is always close to being WET. I suppose it's easier to fit 40lbs of wet sand into a 30lb bag. I've read about silica in sand and never got it quite clear. Would children's play sand have silica? Or I'd expect to find a lot more of it in sand for concrete/mortar mixing. Either way, you can't see it so a respirator is important. I use my "used up" painting respirator.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
My 100 pound pressure pot USA made will kick the ass of my 5hp 2 stage 80 gallon compressors hooked together, I run a hose from front gardge to back shop. watch the meter

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Sand is silica. Impurities in the sand is what's not silica.
Yes, BUT
"The most abundant alternative to mined crystalline silica sand is what nature has provided plenty of by oceans and rivers. Beach and riverbed sand is naturally low in dust and hardly gives off any residue when touched. This is because even though the sand is composed of crystalline silica it does not contain the dangerous dust.

The highest quality sand is “feldspathic” which is a fine, white sand that is ideal for sandboxes and indoor use. This sand is more difficult to source and more costly.

"Is My Sand Safe? - Safe Sand Company

So it all depends on the sand you use. Although I don't know if there is an easy way to test it. Microscope?

Of course it is highly possible that "safe sand" could become dangerous sand when sandblasting, especially when re used, but that is also because of what it is blasting. Old paint off a tri five? Well there's lead to consider.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
My 100 pound pressure pot USA made will kick the ass of my 5hp 2 stage 80 gallon compressors hooked together, I run a hose from front gardge to back shop. watch the meter
Yes indeed watch the meter spin, well most aren't mechanical anymore but after doing my first medium sized blasting the electric bill went up about $75. And I can go online to see how many watts are used at a given time (I think it goes by hours, but maybe down to the minute).

All air tools in the average shop are extremely inefficient. An electric motor tool in it's place costs a LOT less to use, but it's bigger and heavier. It takes 7HP from a compressor to operate a 1 HP tool.

·
Registered
37,257 Posts
"The most abundant alternative to mined crystalline silica sand is what nature has provided plenty of by oceans and rivers. Beach and riverbed sand is naturally low in dust and hardly gives off any residue when touched. This is because even though the sand is composed of crystalline silica it does not contain the dangerous dust.
The process of sandblasting creates the silica dust. Not quite the same as filling the kids' sandbox.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
The process of sandblasting creates the silica dust. Not quite the same as filling the kids' sandbox.
Sand that is mined has enough silica dust in it to be over the limits 100's of times, BEFORE it is used.
And MOST sand is mined. Yes, there are plenty of kids playing in their silica sandboxes.
I know California is a bit crazy with a lot of things, but most sand sold there has to have a warning label that it is a known carcinogen.
Read up on it, I'm not making it up.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Well it hit me. I purchased a new air compressor a Dewalt 30 Gallon Air Compressor, 155 PSI
Spec says Airflow Volume 6.2 @ 40 PSI, 5.3 @ 90

Now I thought I should put it to modest use. I did not buy it for blasting, but now I'm thinking I would like to give it a try.

I was hoping for a suggestion for a media/sand blasting unit I could get that would enable to do small abet slow tasks.
for example: Under side of hood, hood springs/hinges ...etc. I'm not looking to blast a frame in 1 hour, just "smaller" here and there projects. Looking for advice. I'm thinking I'm under powered by most standards but I'm taking a hobbyist view.

I would like to reach out to Eastwood, but what would they need beside the airflow volume and max PSI? I'm ignorant, but prefer not to sound as such on the phone if I call for suggestions. Thanks Fellas. - Chris

Too small a compressor for media blasting. Yes it will work but at a very low pressure which really slows you down. If it's just an occasional blast for very short time it'll function.
you need at least 15 and up scfm to do an ok job. Normally minimum 7hp

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Your point about blasting is well taken, however your comment on filling the kids' sandbox isn't correct if you use the most commonly available sand. Using that sand IS indeed like filling the kids sandbox with silica dust. That is without it ever being used for sandblasting.

·
Registered
37,257 Posts
You're misinterpreting my comment about the kids' sandbox.

The other thing here is that if you're sandblasting, spreading of dust is active. Kids in the sandbox - not so much.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I bought the HF brand sand blaster unit for my one or two times small sandblasting projects. For only doing small projects as you mentioned, your compressor and the HF sand blaster unit will do fine. You’ll just need to take it In short phases so as to not over work the compressor. Walnut shells are a lot lighter than sand, and therefore is easier to siphon, but it’s also less efficient and costs about 50% more per pound. Aluminum oxide is another option, but again more expensive.
The HF 50lb. Blaster that I bought is currently on sale for $25.88 until 4/8/21. It also worked great as a soda blaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,620 Posts
I have a hf floor model blast cabinet and run it with success with a 60 gal. 5 hp Campbell-Hausfeld single stage (twin cylinder) compressor. Very seldom do I have to wait for the pressure to recover.
I have the same compressor as you. I don't have a pot or cabinet but I can say that whenever I use my air D-A the compressor never stops running. I don't like everything getting so hot, so I usually take longer breaks to let it build up and cool off some. It's aggravating but I get through it. I'd really like to get a better two stage, but mine still works so it's staying put for now. To pump up tires and blow things off I use my smaller 5 gallon because the big guy takes too long to pump up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts