Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
8,412 Posts
I have the same compressor as you. I don't have a pot or cabinet but I can say that whenever I use my air D-A the compressor never stops running. I don't like everything getting so hot, so I usually take longer breaks to let it build up and cool off some. It's aggravating but I get through it. I'd really like to get a better two stage, but mine still works so it's staying put for now. To pump up tires and blow things off I use my smaller 5 gallon because the big guy takes too long to pump up.
Look at the motor sometime to see if it lists a duty cycle. Might be a good idea for some compressors to take a break to cool down before its thermal overload turns it off to cool.

You must have a leak or two if it bleeds down when sitting.
Mine is pretty much air tight, can go for a week or so with light usage with the breaker turned off and still not low enough pressure to turn on when I flip the breaker back on. But if I leave certain tools plugged into the hose it will leak down some. Hasn't been below 100psi for a year or two since I rebuilt the pump.

·
Premium Member
13,382 Posts
Look at the motor sometime to see if it lists a duty cycle. Might be a good idea for some compressors to take a break to cool down before its thermal overload turns it off to cool.

You must have a leak or two if it bleeds down when sitting.
Mine is pretty much air tight, can go for a week or so with light usage with the breaker turned off and still not low enough pressure to turn on when I flip the breaker back on. But if I leave certain tools plugged into the hose it will leak down some. Hasn't been below 100psi for a year or two since I rebuilt the pump.
I don’t have any leaks I know of. It just won’t keep up with my D-A.

I learned long ago to drain the tank every time after use. I had one blow because the water sits in there and rusts the bottom out. My little 5 gal I still have runs great, but I’ve welded the bottom up several times because of that. I can’t get the water to drain fully on that one. It’s dangerous to weld those I know, but I do it with plates and full welds to patch up holes. I haven’t found just a tank to buy either.

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
8,412 Posts
I don’t have any leaks I know of. It just won’t keep up with my D-A.

I learned long ago to drain the tank every time after use. I had one blow because the water sits in there and rusts the bottom out. My little 5 gal I still have runs great, but I’ve welded the bottom up several times because of that. I can’t get the water to drain fully on that one. It’s dangerous to weld those I know, but I do it with plates and full welds to patch up holes. I haven’t found just a tank to buy either.
Most people just drain the water, not all the air. I put an elbow and an extension from the drain port with the valve at the end so the pipe holds the water until I drain it.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts